Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update on BB-35...

Good stuff

The weight of 5200 gallons of high solids paint is about 57,200 lbs (28.6 tons).

New Jersey is 441 feet 3 inches (134.49 m) long overall and has a beam of 76 ft 3 in (23.24 m) and a draft of 23 ft 9 in (7.24 m). She displaces 14,948 long tons (15,188 t) as designed and up to 16,094 long tons (16,352 t) at full load.

Back in the 70's when the first "oil shortage" was fabricated the airlines took a look at that and many of them shed their paint---possibly the most notable was Braniff because they used custom paint schemes as a marketing tool.

My friend, who flew Eastern every week for years also went naked---and for the most part never returned to full paint.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Those figures sound a bit short, Dave...from Wikipedia:
    49,657 long tons (50,454 t) standard (1943)
    58,132 long tons (59,065 t) full load (1943)
    60,000 long tons (61,000 t) full load (1968)
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I like it when Americans salvage and rehab ships like the Texas and NJ. We honor our military members and vets when we do so.

When I was a kid in the family car, we'd drive past Fairfield CA, near where the Mothball Fleet is located:

Suisun Bay Ghost/Reserve Fleet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay_Reserve_Fleet

Seeing the Fleet was sobering. It just seemed such a waste. Yet, at least the ships are still with us - and some may be rehabbed in the future. If not - where's the harm?

Hunter
    they have all been scrapped with the exception of the GlomarExplorer. the Ghost fleet is no more
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Those figures sound a bit short, Dave...from Wikipedia:
    ...Ben
    You are correct Ben. I copied them without checking. As I posted that I was questioning the length, but failed to verify. The length is actually is 887 feet.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis