This was my first time in Norway and it is a beautiful country. It reminds me of parts of Alaska and is at similar latitudes as is Alaska.

We landed in Bergan on the west coast surrounded by Boreal forest. They average 80"-90" rainfall a year with measurable rainfall about 220 days/year. Clearly the locals function as if it isn't raining.

We took a train (7 hours) from Bergan to Oslo, also at sea level east of Bergan. Between those cities we climbed to an elevation of 1115 meters (3658'). That put us above the tree line and the snow line.

It is easy to understand why 80% of the electric power comes from hydro generation. There seems to be unlimited rivers and streams---all begging with fantastic white water (Class IV and V everywhere).

Lakes are still frozen at the higher elevations---but most are in break-up. Most of the stream/river flow I saw was snow melt but some was glacial melt (as seen by the grey color).

Very little of the country is tillable and I don't know what the people outside of the cites do for a living. A few places were "messy" but I saw no true "groundhogs" which pepper Alaska.

It is a very expensive country but government services are significant. The people seem both industrious and happy.