Thread: Trains

Cool Trains

We recently took the AVE high speed Spanish train from Madrid to Barcelona, a distance of 386 miles---with 168 tunnels (some of which are cut and cover). The longest tunnel is 15.43 miles. The trip took 3.5 hours including multiple stops.

The track is excellent with a complete absence of the "clickity clack" of old. Ties are concrete and at about an 18" spacing with impressive mechanical anchors to the bottom flange of the rail----no spikes to be seen

The speed is limited to 300 km/h (186 mph). At first they were running at a top speed of 330 km/h but it was sucking the ballast up off the rail bed and damaging the under carriage. Japan's bullet train also runs at a max speed of 300 km/h.

Comparing this to the bullet train---this ride is "less technical". The bullet train has tighter turn radii, but you only know you are in a turn if you look at the door way at the end of the car and see that it is out of plumb. The banking of the track is perfect for the speed. With far more available space this track can use bigger radii.

Both braking and acceleration are extremely smooth---I am sure that it is managed by a computer controller.

Without the screen at the end of each car showing trip information I would not have guessed our speed was as high as it was.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thinking more about the smoothness, there was zero play in the couplers. I would like to get a look at them.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hopefully, the high speed rail Brightline, between LA and Las Vegas, will be as safe and successful as the European/Asian ones. I hope that line could be extended through Salt Lake City someday (I would much prefer a train crash to an airplane crash).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Hopefully, the high speed rail Brightline, between LA and Las Vegas, will be as safe and successful as the European/Asian ones. I hope that line could be extended through Salt Lake City someday (I would much prefer a train crash to an airplane crash).

Hunter
    We have occasional accidents on Amtrak's Acela that runs between DC and Boston. Max speed on that is 150 mph. When it runs off the track it is not a good day---for anyone

It seems most are due to operator error----going too fast

My friend's shorts had a close call with that one day. He was doing a boring under the tracks for a water line (24"). He was kneeling down close to the tracks when coming, toward his back, the Acela past----he said he had not heard it until it was on him.

Makes even me shudder to recall that