Thread: Trains II

Trains II

Bergen Norway to Oslo.

This was the complete opposite to the high speed line in Spain----thank goodness, for I would have felt cheated if we passed such natural beauty at 300 km/h.

Leaving Bergen we ran along multiple fjords before beginning to climb onto the Hardangervidda plateau, Europe’s largest high mountain plateau. The link shows that as 1222 m, the message board on the train said 1115

While this was a beautiful trip I'm still not sure it equals the train between Zurich Switzerland and Lake Como in Italy.

Facts about the Bergen Railway:

To/from Oslo–Bergen
    Departures per day: 4-6
    Duration between Oslo and Bergen: between 6 hours 32 minutes and 7 hours 23 minutes (depending on day- or night train)
    Construction period: 1894–1909
    Locomotive power: Electric
    Length of track: 471,25 km (292 miles)
    Highest point on the track: 1 237 meters above sea level
    Highest station: Finse (1222 meters above sea level)
    Number of tunnels: 182
    Longest tunnel: Finse tunnel 10,3 km

Possibly the most stunning visual was the number of streams and rivers along the way----none of which were meandering little brooks It is easy to see why they generate 80% of their power needs using hydro power
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"I'm still not sure it equals the train between Zurich Switzerland and Lake Como in Italy."

More insight please. We are planning a trip to the area and a nice train ride would fit well with our adventures....

We have to go to Lake Como so Nurse Paula can be stolen from me by George Clooney

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    "I'm still not sure it equals the train between Zurich Switzerland and Lake Como in Italy."

More insight please. We are planning a trip to the area and a nice train ride would fit well with our adventures....

We have to go to Lake Como so Nurse Paula can be stolen from me by George Clooney
    In that case, I would do the Gotthard Pass (Italian: Passo del San Gottardo) from Zurich to Lugano---it is a picture book ride with scenes right out of "The Sound of Music". It is not necessary to take the train,since there is a roadway that follows close to the same route----but trust me, it is difficult to drive and sightsee at the same time. The ride is almost none stop wows!

The Bergen to Oslo ride is a combination of natural beauty along the fjords rising to arctic like scenes on a high plateau. A much different feel.

If you drive and do the Alps, you might want to also consider heading east from Lake Como to the Passo del Brennero or Brenner Pass (in Austria). It goes through the Dolomites and one of the finest wine regions in the world.

I was "adopted" by a wonderful lady in Lugano who owned the La Petit Ristorante---it was fabulous. They speak a dialect in that area that is a combination of Italian, Swiss and French. She could not understand my Italian and I could not understand her dialect---but it didn't matter. When I walked in it was if I was going home---I got a tremendous hug from a tiny lady---and she fed me like a royal

Enjoy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hard to explain why, but traveling by train has always been a great experience for me. Here in the West we have incredible landscapes to enjoy on the journeys.

On July 20th a Union Pacific Big Boy will pass throughs Ogden Utah as part of commemorative events. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

On July 20th a Union Pacific Big Boy will pass throughs Ogden Utah as part of commemorative events. I'm very much looking forward to it.
    WOW!!!! Lucky you

I'd love to see that massive engine pull one of those mountain grades going east from Ogden

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    In that case, I would do the Gotthard Pass (Italian: Passo del San Gottardo) from Zurich to Lugano---it is a picture book ride with scenes right out of "The Sound of Music". It is not necessary to take the train,since there is a roadway that follows close to the same route----but trust me, it is difficult to drive and sightsee at the same time. The ride is almost none stop wows!

The Bergen to Oslo ride is a combination of natural beauty along the fjords rising to arctic like scenes on a high plateau. A much different feel.

If you drive and do the Alps, you might want to also consider heading east from Lake Como to the Passo del Brennero or Brenner Pass (in Austria). It goes through the Dolomites and one of the finest wine regions in the world.

I was "adopted" by a wonderful lady in Lugano who owned the La Petit Ristorante---it was fabulous. They speak a dialect in that area that is a combination of Italian, Swiss and French. She could not understand my Italian and I could not understand her dialect---but it didn't matter. When I walked in it was if I was going home---I got a tremendous hug from a tiny lady---and she fed me like a royal

Enjoy

Gracias (I need to bone up on my Italian)......

Only Italian I know, besides Monica Bellucci, is gli alcol for alcohol and bagno for bathroom.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead