Thread: Beef Tartare

Beef Tartare

Today is my shopping day and after indulging my love of beef AKA steak tartare on our trip I am going to pickup some sirloin steak.

Here is a good recipe for tartare.

I will go a little light on the mustard, I don't want to overwhelm the taste of the beef

I'm afraid tuna tartare is a bit more difficult---that requires the best and freshest tuna---not always available to us landlubbers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I love raw beef. I used to have a favorite a Mediterranean food named kibby. There was a grocer in the neighborhood who made raw kibbey every week. I ate it frequently. I'm not been able to find it because I don't think the health department will let them serve raw beef anymore.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Would you describe "kibby", I am not familiar with it.

On the issue of raw beef, I think it is a USDA "recommendation" to not eat it. I do occasionally see it on a menu here. More commonly I see carpaccio, a thinly sliced raw beef, most often in good Italian restaurants. Interestingly, the USDA also recommends a minimum temperature of 160 for beef and 140 for steaks and roasts---that is insane! At that temperature just call the dog

I think most "offal" goes to pet food producers simply because there is limited market for human consumption. When we did our own butchering there was very little that did not end up in the pot. Heart is another real treat eaten raw.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I was using talk to text but even if I was typing it I probably wouldn't have spelled it right. This link take you to a description.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Thank you