Thread: 6 Months on Levothyroxine

6 Months on Levothyroxine

most of the weight I gained when my Thyroid quit is gone. most of my strength in back and I am building back my cardio. Today I went out for a 20 mile ride and kept the heart really pumping except for the initial 9 minute warm up. My average speed would have been higher but I had to stop 3 times to deal with work calls (sucks being the operations manager sometimes)

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

My daughter was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I'm assuming from your medication you have hypothyroidism.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    My daughter was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I'm assuming from your medication you have hypothyroidism.
    you would be correct Hashimoto's to be exact. this was where I was at
    • Myxedema (miks-uh-DEE-muh). This rare, life-threatening condition can develop due to long-term, severe, untreated hypothyroidism. Its signs and symptoms include drowsiness followed by profound lethargy and unconsciousness. A myxedema coma may be triggered by exposure to cold, sedatives, infection or other stress on your body. Myxedema requires immediate emergency medical treatment.

doc pretty much saved my life
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

My sister's on the same medication that you are and has seems to keep it under control. Luckily of many of the health issues I have thyroid is not one of them.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Luckily of many of the health issues I have thyroid is not one of them.
    I'm lucky there too...Diabetes is killing me plenty fast enough...Take care of what's left of your health folks......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have been taking it for years. I take 50 micrograms/day.

One thing that will render it useless is to not take it on an empty stomach. The directions call for a minimum of one hour before breakfast---that did not work for me. Now I take it about 3 AM at piss call and all has been good for years.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm on 150 mcg/day and yeah empty stomach at least an hour before coffee or food

63yo and not on a single medication. I eat well (most the time), get plenty of rest (never) and exercise daily (never).

My XR 650R dirt bike keeps me healthy - 3 days a week at least. 3 hours on a single track in the desert will work any muscles you did not know your had. I still come home sore and whooped.

Better than being a vegan gym rat

another good ride. Philbo I was on no meds until 67. It might have been caused by chemical exposure during my years on the Fire Engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.16.24 bike2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	40259

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    63yo and not on a single medication. I eat well (most the time), get plenty of rest (never) and exercise daily (never).

My XR 650R dirt bike keeps me healthy - 3 days a week at least. 3 hours on a single track in the desert will work any muscles you did not know your had. I still come home sore and whooped.

Better than being a vegan gym rat
    I hope all continues well with you Bo. At 63 I was drug free (I think) but in the years since then it is a bit like an old car---the problems seem to increase with escalating frequency and by the time you get to 80 things just naturally don't work as well.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

" it is a bit like an old car".... I was wondering why my blinker fluid has been leaking.

In August I begin the replacement regime with my first knee which will be closely followed by my other knee. My wife is way ahead of me--she has both knees and hips replaced---not to mention the hardware in her back. I keep telling her she is running up her scrap value

My favorite male Siamese had a bad Thyroid Gland (don't recall if it was hypo or hyper). So, the vet radiated his Thyroid, which meant the cat was too radioactive to bring home for two weeks. Anyway, we got three more great years with him before unrelated kidney disease took him out.

As to our Crew's health issues: Good to hear you're all getting appropriate medical care for your conditions. I'd like it if you stick around.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead