Thread: Meanwhile in El Savador

Meanwhile in El Savador

They have new guest rooms available---and filling them quickly.

SAN SALVADOR, Feb 24 (Reuters) - El Salvador's government moved thousands of suspected gang members to a newly opened "mega prison" on Friday, the latest step in a controversial crackdown on crime that has caused the Central American nation's prison population to soar.
    "This will be their new home, where they won't be able to do any more harm to the population," President Nayib Bukele wrote on Twitter.
    Around 2,000 accused gang members were moved to the 40,000-person-capacity prison, considered to be the largest in the Americas, early Friday morning.
    In a video posted by Bukele, prisoners stripped down to white shorts, with their heads shaved, are seen running through the new prison into cells. Many bear gang tattoos.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This could make a bullet not such a bad idea
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

They all look healthy. Put them to work.

Something to consider…

“Bukele asked his allies in El Salvador's Congress to pass a state of exception last year, which has since been extended several times, that suspends some constitutional rights after a dramatic spike in murders attributed to violent gangs.“

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    They all look healthy. Put them to work.
    Absolutely

Guess I should have been a tattoo artist done there.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yeah, they look healthy enough.

The healthiest and fittest prisoners I ever saw was when Wifey and I visited the prison at Camp Pendleton in California. I asked the Warden, "How many of 'em on sick call status?" "None," his reply. It impressed the hell out of me.

Another impressive stat: 1/2 of the offenders housed at Pendleton re-up in the military when released from prison.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead