Thread: Mighty fine fare

Mighty fine fare

I know I posted a thread about Irish Bacon and cabbage in the past but am now unable to find it--not a problem.

While we were in Ireland in May I had wanted to have one of the favorite Irish dishes, Irish Bacon, cabbage, parsley sauce and mashed potatoes but failed.

Tonight I treated us to that fine Irish dish I had to punt the bacon since the closest that I could get Irish Bacon is just this side of NYC. So, I used a thin (1/2") ham steak in place of the real thing.

The preparation is rather simple. I quartered a small head of green cabbage and set that on a steamer basket and let it steam. About 30 minutes before eating I put the ham in with the cabbage. While the cabbage steamed I started the potatoes and last of all the parsley sauce----which is way under used

The recipe here will do just fine----and for the potatoes, turn them into Irish Concannon by using up the remainder of your parsley bunch in the potatoes.

My intent was to enjoy a Guinness with that---but I forgot

I hope you try this simple but comforting dish---and in the meantime:

May the road rise to meet you,
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    The rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, having ham with cabbage makes sense (or even bacon). Yet, if I had a preference, I'd go with corned beef as well - probably out of habit rather than taste. One of the best things about such a meal is how easy it is to cook and serve.

Hmmm... parsley sauce. Haven't had that before but it sounds like it's worth a try.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Interestingly, while we think of corned beef and cabbage on St Patrick's Day---it is not Irish. The Irish don't have corned beef but in this country it became a substitute for Irish bacon back home in Ireland.

The parsley sauce is excellent and has the added benefit of being one of the easiest sauces to make.
    It is excellent on ham of any kind, pork chops and I often make it with baked white fish or boiled potatoes.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-18-2024 at 05:23 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Might try Whole Foods if there's one around you for the bacon
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	40260

I'm not a fan---but I checked anyway Fred---thank you.