Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A once fast lady

Viking is all inclusive with the exception of mixed drinks. They do offer a prepaid drink package but I am not sure of the terms. Wine and beer is served at lunch and dinner. I did buy a Campari and Perrie one afternoon and that was $6.00 which sounds reasonable.

As for making mixed drinks inclusive I would not like to see that happen---I have seen other instances where there is a "prepaid bar" and it can be a bad scene as people try to get their monies worth and drink themselves into oblivion.

All of the various dinning venues are without charge. There are included tours in each port plus opportunities to take optional tours at additional cost, if you like.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Cruise lines rank you and give special status to people who've cruised dozens of times. Wifey and I have been on 35 cruises to 45 countries, which gives us first access to any event or service on most cruise lines. Hence, no lines during embarkation or disembarkation. In a tender port, we board first. And, we eat when we want in whichever restaurant we choose. The "class" system of old has been replaced with a new numerical hierarchy.

Having said the above, I miss the old days in the 70s & 80s when one dined with the same group of people (typically 8) at a set time. It was a great way to meet new friends and hear them talk about their home port. We still have friends we met onboard ships 40 years ago. Apparently, the Carnival Corp (including Princess), will be bringing that old concept of set dining back next year.

The big ships do swamp smaller ports. Some docks (e.g., Avalon CA, Venice Italy) have cut way back on visits from the bigger ships (which run 100,000+ tons, 4,000 passengers and above). Keep in mind, the original Love Boats (which Wifey and I cruised on for our Honeymoon) were only about 64,000 tons and could sail up the Mekong Delta into Saigon. Heck, the Titanic was only 46,329 tons - piddly by today's standards.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead