Thread: Yes sir---that good old time religion

Yes sir---that good old time religion

Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry cites “original lawgiver" Moses, signs law requiring Ten Commandments be shown in classrooms.

Republican Gov. Jeff Landry of Louisiana on Wednesday invoked biblical figures as he signed a law to require public school classrooms in the state to display the Ten Commandments.

“If you want to respect the rule of law,” Landry asserted, “you've got to start from the original lawgiver, which was Moses.”
    Not to argue with the governor----but Moses was not the original lawgiver---he just hauled that stone tablet down the mountain

If the good governor really wanted to do something to help the schools he would add another stipulation to this law----you can't graduate from high school until you can READ all ten!

What a distorted priority, their schools are at the bottom of nonperforming and so they put their focus (and money) toward some stupid grandstand act
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Without commenting how I feel about what the governor did, I'm pretty sure this will be ruled unconstitutional.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Without commenting how I feel about what the governor did, I'm pretty sure this will be ruled unconstitutional.
    I'm pretty sure that you are right. Eat it, Gregg Abbott & Co.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'd like to think you are correct gentlemen----but don't forget the Supreme Court ain't what it used to be
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'd like to think you are correct gentlemen----but don't forget the Supreme Court ain't what it used to be
    Did you see today's ruling. The one about denying the right to possess a weapon under certain circumstances.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I did and I was a bit encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Did you see today's ruling. The one about denying the right to possess a weapon under certain circumstances.
    I find it interesting, that the three Justices nominated by Liberals always vote party line…Not so with those nominated by Conservatives…unless of course someone here disagrees

Quote Originally Posted by FriendofBRW View Post
    I find it interesting, that the three Justices nominated by Liberals always vote party line…Not so with those nominated by Conservatives…unless of course someone here disagrees
    Clearly you have not gotten the "rino approved talking points" on this yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Clearly you have not gotten the "rino approved talking points" on this yet
    I get all the “rino approved talking points” I need simply by reading the topics that you post. For that, I thank you.

It’s the weekend…make it a great one.

Well, coming to you from a state where one religious denomination rules, I don't see it as a big deal. Keep in mind that our legislators meet with LDS leadership before each session to get their take on where we should be heading. And, it's worked out well for us socially and economically. We are considered to be one of the best run states in America.

Frankly, when I first moved here it bugged the heck out of me. But, as I aged and moved up through our state government system, I learned I was wrong is assuming all of us citizens would have to toe the LDS religious line. We don't - quite the contrary. The 2002 Winter Olympics caused major liquor restrictions to be lifted. Soon thereafter, Medical Marijuana usage was put into place and has been successful for our state revenues and for our citizens (I got a MM card myself, but it did nothing for pain).

What I do have a problem with is allocating money to fund the Ten Commandment's placement in schools. I'm thinking that, if they were asked, local churches would step up to sponsor the costs if it's important enough to do such a thing.

Personally, I highly doubt student's being exposed to the 10 Cs will change their behavior. For, the ones who believe in them will behave accordingly. The ones who don't believe in them will do their own thing. It should be pretty basic look at student's stats to see if all this will have an effect on morality/crime.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Not to be argumentative, but not coming to Utah with the LDS as part of my view of things was uncomfortable and I would not have easily opted to stay indefinitely. The feeling of not belonging was always there. That said, I am very glad for the experience

To your comments about the "visibility" of the ten commandments---I am in full agreement. You don't instill morality in anyone by hanging the words on the wall---I looked at pictures of George Washington everyday in school for years---it didn't turn me into George Washington. For our young to absorb the meaning of those words takes examples and teaching the way by adults---most importantly the parents.

If this makes anyone in LA happy---God bless them, but it isn't going to do anything to make the young righteous.