Thread: Gots me a ting

Thumbs up Gots me a ting

Free from State Farm.

Very easy to set up and interesting to monitor---especially today with the temperature at 100 F. Since turning it on about 30 minutes ago the voltage has fluctuated between 117.8V and 119.8V. It displays both the current voltage and the high and low readings.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Fascinating. I had no idea about this topic at all.

I allow myself to use 1 per day. This was clearly it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm going to contact my SF agent Monday.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Currently 90F and since yesterday the hi/low have been 122.6V/114.6V. At the moment it is 119.49V.

This also displays a graphical representation of the voltage over time.

I wish I would have had this a few years ago. This house was built in 1960 with electric baseboard heating.

Since buying it in 1983 we have added on and installed central air and LPG heating. The additions and changes required a new subpanel. A couple of years ago we started to have circuit problems with weak breakers. The breakers were obsolete and replacements were not easily available. IR inspection showed a few "hot spots". Plus water had been leaking into the main panel where the outside feed penetrated the wall.

So---it was time to change the main panel and fix the original problem. This device would have shown those issues earlier than I noticed them. The good news is----now all is well.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have not read the entire link, but I would be very concerned that the data it collects is being sold to State Farm.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Ting and I expect State Farm do receive the data and will notify the property owner of irregularity. I have no problem with that.

If I had a house full of grow lamps that would be a different matter. As an aside, excessive electrical demand is reported to the state police by the power companies in Alaska.

You can also buy the unit directly from Ting.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-23-2024 at 01:04 PM.

Useful site. Thanks.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Just for additional input: I have a friend who has worked all over the US, Canada and much of Europe. He has had some of the best as well as some of the worst suppliers. Among the worst, Hydro Quebec, in Canada and First Energy in NE Ohio.

Most computers are intolerant of high variation in voltages. Nominally 10% drop from 120V is the maximum they will tolerate. In most areas of the US (with the exception of Ohio) this was not a problem. As a result of this my friend had recording volt meters on all his plants and would take the utility to task if the voltage drop was more than the CNC machines as well as main frames could tolerate. There are things that can be done to help "condition" in coming power but they are expensive and have their limits.

Ordered mine today. Free from State farm.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.