Thread: Back from 2 days of fly fishing in the Sierras

Back from 2 days of fly fishing in the Sierras

I am sore everywhere. Hiked over 12 miles of river, must have done over 1000 casts. I did land 30 trout in 2 days. The fishing was really technical, the water was crystal clear and the fish were hold really close to the overhanging brush so your cast and the drift of the fly had to be spot on. Had a deer cross the river right nest to me. he had 2 points on his antlers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240621_193401.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	40270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0986a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	40272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1010.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	40273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0989a.jpg 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	40274
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Name:	DSCF0992.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	40275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0993.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	40276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0994.JPG 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	40277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0995.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	40278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0996.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	40279
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Man made Beaver Dam approximations

Name:	DSCF0987a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	570.0 KB 
ID:	40280

Very nice

Do you know what the purpose of those "dams" is?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Wowzers.. beautiful..looks like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Very nice

Do you know what the purpose of those "dams" is?

BDA - learned something new today.

As I recall, I saw a report on California's efforts to bring back beavers in areas they'd been eradicated. Further, they're also bringing back Salmon populations, it's good news for animal habitats.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Thank you

We do similar things here---but a little differently. It is done mostly to prevent a stream from washing out the bank in a turn. They place used utility poles at an angle partially across the stream to push the flow away from the outside of the bend.

As for beaver dams---they would be appalled at anything that looks that "messy" being accredited to them. Beavers can cause considerable problems when they flood an area---often including a road.
    Just a few miles from me the township had been trying to trap and relocate beavers for a couple of years---without success. They have now given up----on the relocation part The job has been turned over to a local trapper
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We have beavers in Texas. They are destructive little bastiges.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

One of the strangest things I have seen was a dead beaver---underneath a tree he had just fallen

I have heard that as they get close to where they expect the tree to fall they stop after each "cut" and listen for noise coming from the tree. Apparently this guy was hard of hearing