Thread: Biden doubles down on electric vehicles…

Biden doubles down on electric vehicles…

Half of all new vehicles sold must be electric by 2030.

The fact that planet Earth is in trouble is not new news; for years, scientists have understood that climate change is a very real problem. Experts say that, in addition to the horrifying side effects humans are seeing right now, the situation will only get worse unless the human race can find ways to reverse the issue and allow the Earth to return to its natural fluctuations. Therefore, scientists and environmentalists around the world have urged not only people, but governments and corporations to make tangible and lasting changes now to save the planet from its seemingly inevitable destruction.

The EPA has explained that 28% of all greenhouse gas emissions in the United States come from transportation, and 57% of all transportation emissions are released by passenger vehicles. That means that by eliminating gas-powered vehicles, the US could absolutely cut down on a significant amount of carbon emissions every year.

But within the year, Biden had made a very different announcement. In 2023, the president proclaimed that at least 50% of all vehicle sales in the United States will have to be electric by 2030. While some Americans were thrilled with the president’s decision, millions of others immediately expressed concerns, specifically regarding the lack of infrastructure needed for such a transition and how this plan will affect the American auto industry and the economy as a whole.
    Let’s pray this isn’t official policy

If I'm still alive in 2030, you'll find me in the other 50% if you need me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    We are located in the southern end of the urban northeast.. its solid McDonalds from here to Boston.. EV charging stations are popping up like mushrooms.. new gas stations have as many charging stations as gas pumps.. more EVs showing up on the roads..

Maybe will become an urban thing.. for people who will stay in the urban areas? Can’t see it in rural areas or for road trips..

Also don’t see one in my future..

Please citrect me if I’m wrong, but isn’t 65% of electricity on the East Coast comes from fossil fuels and other hydrocarbons? It takes on average 1 kilowatt hour to charge an electric car to go 4 miles. I’m not a Physicist, but I’m sure some energy is lost from the electricity produced from coal/petroleum power plants to the charger. Seems to me it would be more energy efficient jyst to use gasoline or diesel, especially considering most if the power already comes from burning fossil fuel?

Then consider how long one has to wait for the car to charge.

I think I probably stated this before in one of these forums but I am intrigued by electric vehicles and as soon as they can increase the mileage between charges I will probably buy one. The maintenance is very low and I'm hoping that charging them at home will be the same as paying for gasoline. However, I am doubtful that will ever happen because the electric companies are as bad or worse than the gasoline companies.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    ...the electric companies are as bad or worse than the gasoline companies.
    The smell of money is a powerful intoxicant......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    An EV would work as our second car.. second car just runs around town, short trips..

The tv/radio entertainers rant about fossil fuel fired electricity charging the EV doesn’t concern me, it will change over time.. (believe that we will be forced back to nuclear power plants over time).. and there is only so much affordable petroleum in the ground..

But I’m still not interested in buying an EV..

Hybrid vehicles make more sense to me.. our city buses are hybrid, electric motors get the vehicle up to x10mph where the diesel takes over..

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    ...increase the mileage between charges I will probably buy one.
    Exactamundo.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Exactamundo.

Hunter
    Ok…Why? In my opinion, in the here and foreseeable future… it make zero since to buy an electric vehicle.

There’s a reason EV car purchases are tanking…and if one wants to tow? Forgot it.