Thread: One for the Brits

One for the Brits

There is not much about the British Cuisine that I think worth noting----but with tomato season either here, or close at hand, I do have one that I think worth noting.

No---it is not baked beans for breakfast, it is a tomato for breakfast. My normal is 1/2 of a tomato cut on the equator. I put it in the pan, cut side down, on a bit of olive oil and just let it "stew". I'll add my diced hot peppers once the tomato is warming up.

Cover the pan to hold in the heat and let it go on medium high heat until the skin wrinkles and it becomes soft to the touch. Don't move it, don't turn it over. Once it is properly wrinkled proceed with your eggs as normal.

The remaining cut half is put on a saucer and left on the counter for tomorrow---it stays perfectly fine

Try it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Tomatoes were something I planted at each home we lived in. There was no comparison to the relatively tasteless ones at the grocery store.

Course, here in Utah, we can do one crop per year. We'd do three crops a year in the San Fernando Valley, CA.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

One of the positive benefits of buying from my Amish friends is that none have refrigeration which is what makes many store bought tomatoes tasteless.
    My wife's father had 7 acres under glass and grew tomatoes in all of them. He also had field tomatoes
    Her family ate only greenhouse tomatoes. I had to teach her what a good tomato tasted like and never to put them in the refrigerator
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

To me there is nothing better than a homegrown fresh tomato out of the garden. Slice it and eat it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    To me there is nothing better than a homegrown fresh tomato out of the garden. Slice it and eat it.
    On occasion I am a bit more crude than that----I will stand over the kitchen sink with tomato in one hand and salt shaker in the other and eat it like an apple

it's time to change the air in my head