Thread: So long Kinky

So long Kinky

Another Texas political legend

Kinky Friedman, a singer, songwriter, humorist and sometime politician who with his band, the Texas Jewboys, developed an ardent following among alt-country music fans with songs like “They Ain’t Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore” — and whose biting cultural commentary earned him comparisons with Will Rogers and Mark Twain — died on Thursday at his ranch near Austin, Texas. He was 79.
    RIP
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

A unique individual indeed...RIP......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"I'm not pro-life, and I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-football."
    - Kinky Friedman

Works for me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Just to better know Kinky, here are the lyrics for "They ain't makin Jews like Jesus anymore":

Well, a redneck nerd in a bowling shirt
    Was a-guzzlin' Lone Star beer
    Talking religion and-uh politics for all the world to hear
    "They oughta send you back to Russia, boy
    Or New York City, One
    You just want to doodle a Christian girl
    And you killed God's only son."

I said, "Has it occurred to you, you nerd
    That that's not very nice
    We Jews believe it was Santa Claus that killed Jesus Christ"
    "You know, you don't look Jewish," he said
    "Near as I could figger
    I had you stamped for a slightly anemic
    Well-dressed country Nigga."

No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore
    They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before
    He started in to shoutin' and a-spittin' on the floor
    "Lord, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore."

He says, "I ain't a racist but
    Aristotle Onassis is one Greek we don't need
    And them niggers, Jews and Sigma Nus
    All they ever do is breed

And wops 'n micks 'n slopes 'n spics 'n spooks
    Are on my list
    And there's one little heeb from the heart of Texas
    Is there anyone I missed?"

Well, I hits him with everything I had
    Right square between the eyes
    I says, "I'm gonna gitcha, you son of a bitch ya
    For spoutin' that pack of lies
    If there's one thing I can't abide
    It's an ethnocentric racist;
    Now you take back that thing you said
    'Bbout Aristotle Onassis."

We don't turn the other cheek the way we done before
    You could hear that honky holler as he hit that hardwood floor
    "Lord, they sho' ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore"
    All right!

We don't turn the other cheek the way they done before
    You hear that honky holler as he hit that hardwood floor
    Lord, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore

Everybody!
    They ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore
    They ain't makin' carpenters who know what nails are for
    Well, the whole damn place was singin'
    As I strolled right out the door
    "Lord, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore!"
    No, we ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore
    We don't turn the other cheek the way they done before
    Well, the whole damn place was singin'
    As I strolled right out the door
    "Lord, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore!"
    I wonder if old Kinky might have had some splainin to do when he checked in this morning.

BTW, if you think you might have heard of Kinky before---you probably did--Kinky ran for Governor of Texas some years ago. Probably a better choice than some our friends have made
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-28-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Never heard of him. Sounds like a weirdo. Sorry I read the last post, no offense intended.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Kinky was a cool guy. I still have a t-shirt from his governers race, wore it last week. At the time, he was the best choice for governor we had. It's kinda like today's presidential race. The main candidates suck, so why not vote for someone else? His campaign slogan was "how hard can it be"?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kinky was a cool guy. I still have a t-shirt from his governers race, wore it last week. At the time, he was the best choice for governor we had. It's kinda like today's presidential race. The main candidates suck, so why not vote for someone else? His campaign slogan was "how hard can it be"?
    I guess you would have to be on the ground there to appreciate him. I can ascertain that he was quite a character.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

We knew about Kinky up here when he ran for Governor---but thinking about that it might have been right here were I learned about him.

I just checked---it was 2006 and one of the other contenders was rick perry---I would have voted for Kinky

"We don't turn the other cheek the way they done before."
    - Kinky Friedman

As Hamas can attest. Israelis will only take so much abuse before they retaliate. And, when they do, you'll be praying for Allah to save your butt.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead