Thread: Doing better

Doing better

I can remember when swimming in the Hudson River off NYC was risking your life.

But things are improving (including a very successful oyster reintroduction aided heavily by NYC high school kids

And this big boy recently caught:

Attachment 40286

Added in edit:

I have never swam in the Hudson but as I kid we would often haul fruit into the NYC docks and I would always look at the water---not with an agenda simply as something to do while we waited to unload. I still remember the appearance---with almost a full cover of flotsam of every kind.

We commonly went to the Cunard Line at Pier 54----the home of the "Queens" and I would marvel at their size. The USS United States and other ships belonging to the United States Lines were at Pier 86. To a farm kid they were marvels!

I believe the fruit that we took to those piers was not for export but for food service on those lines. Export shipments went mostly to United Fruit Lines at Pier 6 and 7. It was always a long day if we started to unload in the Produce Market then went to the piers and had to go to multiple piers--we didn't get home until afternoon---18 hours after leaving. The produce market was open at night---the Piers only in the day time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	40287  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-29-2024 at 02:36 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm a big Seinfeld fan and remember Kramer swimming in the East River. As a result, he had a particular smell that clung to a mattress Elaine had - causing rumors about their type of friendship,

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead