Thread: 1968 def con 2

1968 def con 2

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Those are my brothers.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

AGER-2 USS Pueblo is still the second oldest commissioned warship in the US Navy inventory...My wing was on near constant alert for quite a time after that...I had turned 21 three days earlier...Here is a good account of the incident...
    One of the most significant material deficiencies of Pueblo was that she had no efficient means to conduct a rapid emergency destruction of classified material and equipment. Bucher had used money from the ship’s MWR fund to buy and install an incinerator because the Navy would not pay for one. As it turned out, the incinerator was exposed to enemy fire, and could not rapidly burn bulk publications.
    I have speculated elsewhere that the spirit of Fireman Duane D. Hodges, who was killed during the attack, may still haunt the vessel at its moorings in Pothonggang Canal trying in vain to call in an airstrike to end the reign of terror in North Korea and the ship's humiliating fate at the same time...Eleven US Presidents have unanimously turned a deaf ear to the warship's needs......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Because of such events, our teachers would direct us to crouch under our desks for about 5 minutes every month. I have no idea how that would protect us from a nuclear blast, but we did it anyway.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

All of my equipment, both land based and airborne was "wired" to destruct. The majority of that equipment was in equipment racks and the charges were placed between the pieces in the racks. The charges were placed between pieces so that each one would take out at least two pieces--a built in safety factor. There were multiple master switches at various strategic locations.

The installation I did in Vietnam had a life expectancy of 6 months when I finished it. That was early spring of 1965. By early fall it was overrun---it brought the concept of "expendable" home to me.

To be clear---I was not there when it was overrun---I left within days of commissioning the installation. The personnel were evacuated prior to the end and all the equipment had been destroyed prior to the evacuation.

Footnote:

The word "expendable" congers up a rush of thoughts and feelings in me.

Years before my short stay in Vietnam (I was 20 years old at the time) I had read a very memorable book---which I'm afraid I could not read now--entitled "They Were Expendable". I highly recommend it to everyone. May God bless the "expendables" and their families
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I had read a very memorable book---which I'm afraid I could not read now--entitled "They Were Expendable".
    I never read the book, but I like re-watching the John Wayne movie of the same name and subject occasionally......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I did know of the movie but never saw it.

Hmmm... obviously a movie I need to watch.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead