Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: you texas boys gonna get wet Sunday and Monday

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I have 3 generators. the built in propane Onan 2500 watt in the camper. a gas powered Honda 2000 watt and a gas powered ONAN 6500 watt to power up the entire house. In the mountains where I lived we would be without power for up to 10 days at a time when we had big windstorms like 105 mph up on our ridge top. Nothing like watching 150 foot Doug Firs just get blown over and giant valley oaks get split in half. I got out of the Fire engine and got tossed 20 feet through the air before I landed on my butt.
    So---whata ya waitin for---get on the road and take some of that power to Ben---he needs it

Things are not looking good in Texas

HOUSTON — More than 1.3 million customers in Texas were still without power Wednesday night, depriving many of air conditioning during a dangerous heat wave, two days after Hurricane Beryl made landfall on the Gulf Coast.

The storm, which is blamed in at least 11 deaths in the U.S. and nine in the Caribbean, was a post-tropical cyclone Wednesday and was still bringing rain to the Great Lakes and New England regions through Wednesday night, forecasters said.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-11-2024 at 06:23 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

No better today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture .png 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	40310

I have Ben in my prayers---they need a break!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We're hitting 100+ degrees F everyday for 5 days straight. It's an unusual occurrence here.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

and I will be working outside in this heat

Name:	Starr Vaughn temps.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	40311
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Media hype.......

We all have to quit using gas stoves air conditioners our appliances and even our cars or it's the end of the world as we know it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I guess you could call it "Media hype"---if you are not one of many thousands still impacted by this---and one of many thousands that will not see power restored until next week:

According to CenterPoint's Outage Tracker, over 870,000 customers were still in the dark on Friday morning, and 1.3 million customers had been restored since the storm. CenterPoint declared that, with 2.26 million customers impacted, this is the largest outage in the company's history.
    But fear not sufferers---I hear the calvary coming in the distance----yes---it is the fearless greg abbott---oh----no---the governor sent his Lt instead but he is going to hold hearings----right on gov---that will take care of it

It was media hype at the time I wrote it. That was before the track changed to ugly.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Not to worry----you are in good hands

Name:	Capture .jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	40312

In defense of the weather forecasters (real ones): From what I saw, and I was watching closely, this was an unusual storm---long before it got to Texas. It had varied from a tropical depression to a Cat 5 and back to a tropical depression long before arriving in Texas as a Cat 1. The tracking changed as well---with a wild swing to the east as it crossed the gulph.
    What we do not see in watching the track and Cat nos is the rainfall forecast. Forecasting those numbers is not an exact science and I think it would be advisable to expect possible changes at least out maybe 12 hours.
    Often the hype with winter storms seems to be "drama" for pumping up the number of listeners but I don't believe (at least from this vantage point) that this was dramatized--in fact I think they did reasonably well.

I should add an important fact here, I do not get my weather forecasts from the TV or radio. I get virtually all my information from the Weather Underground and the National Weather Service. Neither of them are fertile stages for drama---that falls to the mass media sources. I also have my own weather station---which, if nothing else, shows me how "finitely local" the weather often is.

With that said---I sure hope Ben is in a cool place relaxing comfortably
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-12-2024 at 01:28 PM.

Today there is good news

Some 1,579,000 of those who lost power are now said to be restored The bad news----Ben, and 685,000 others, ain't among them ,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The bad news----Ben, and 685,000 others, ain't among them ,
    Think again...I ain't that easy to get rid of......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    he's baaaaacccccck
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Good news May your AC be working well

Great News!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Ben

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead