Thread: Bird watching

Bird watching

I've been doing it since Jr High. I have a life list in an old Peterson field guide to western birds.
    I saw a new one today in the Oakland Estuary

Black Brant Goose Branta bernicla subspecies nigricans

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240706_130138~2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	40297
    Last edited by TriGuy; 07-07-2024 at 11:11 AM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

i have been chasing an animal noise in the woods for years. finally spotted the cultrip this spring. it is a yellow billed cuckoo bird. i had no idea there were cuckoo's in the states...aside from ben
    the noise i was chasing was not the ratchety call, but the boop-boop-boop sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZ43a-Wrxo
    it's time to change the air in my head

Despite many years of active bird watching I remain a failure when compared to a few of my friends

I have recently been directed to another tool (I already have every bird book known to man or bird) which rides along on my cell phone.

I did maintain a sighting list at the cottage but other than that I have failed to document my adventures.
    One of my annual high spots was a trip in the fall to a "perch" on the top of the Blue Mountain along the Apalachin trail, but alas that hike is beyond safe limits for me. It was to witness the fall migration, mostly of raptures, as they rode the thermals---often right in front of us.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    i had no idea there were cuckoo's in the states...aside from ben
    Apparently we're easily recognizable to each other, but don't let the others in on that secret......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    As newlyweds, in the early 1970s.. we were given a used 19in black and white “portable “ tv by a friends mom who was moving.. with hard yellowing scotch tape on the antenna joints, we picked up a dozen stations..

Bowling for Dollars on a Baltimore station was a favorite..

One of the bowlers was claimed to be an avid birdwatcher.. when the announcer asked about the most interesting birds that the bowler had seen he replied…. “I seen red uns and blue uns”..

That unknown bowler, on Baltimore TV, 50 years ago accurately described my birdwatching.. he has been quoted (in private) hundreds of times..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    “I seen red uns and blue uns”..
    As my eyesight gradually degrades, I see more and more gray uns and blurry uns......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bird.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	40302  

That fits in with your avatar, Bo.

Initially I thought that was a duck - not a goose.

Have not heard of a Rain Crow until now.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead