Thread: I’m not ignoring you..

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..

I’m not ignoring you..

And then again, maybe I am..

Off on a walkabout.. limited internet and less tolerance for access hassles.. back in August..

Be safe while you're out there. And, come back with good stories to tell.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

hope you have a good time
    it's time to change the air in my head

Enjoy the break and come back refreshed---with a cleared mind!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Insinuating brain fog? Possibly a inversion (just trying to retain a weather-oriented focus).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Bad news.. I’m back…

Just back from 26 daze on Norwegian Cruise Lines.. New York to Halifax.. Saint Pierre (French Island off of Newfoundland).. St John’s.. Greenland.. Iceland and “ending “ in Reykjavik.. where one cruise ended and another began.. then sailed back to NYC with different Iceland and Greenland ports and fjords..

We had BBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Fox ( until we got too far north for the satellite).. also had the same nine movies.. Olympics were added on return cruise, most interesting because it was a UK feed so the special interest tidbits were Brit, Ozzie and Kiwi athletes..

Glad you're back safely, Joe...My only glimpses of Greenland and Iceland were from airplane windows with a brief leg stretching at the airport in Reykjavik...It was my understanding that a lot of Iceland was green, and a lot of Greenland was ice, but I would be a poor witness to that......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Iceland is green and Greenland is ice.. Iceland is a beautiful, clean, modern European country.. Greenland is poor, not very green.. a lot of gravel in open spaces in towns.. much public housing.. friendly people.. no two towns in Greenland are connected by road..

Sounds like an interesting trip---and welcome back
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Greenland is one of the coldest places Wifey and I have been. To top it all off, it ain't green - Iceland is (which makes just as much sense).

Hunter

I have a friend who worked on Greenland in the early 70's on the DEW line---he doesn't seem to have fond memories
    He also was in Iceland by chance when his plane broke--it was Jan and he took one look around, found an expensive woolens shop, bought the most expensive Icelandic wool cape for his wife. It worked, she hasn't asked to go to Iceland since

According to Wikipedia, Greenlandians (I have no idea what to call them) are mostly Inuit. And, interestingly, Greenland has the highest suicide rate amongst countries in the world. That makes me wonder if the two are connected, but there aren't the stats to find about it.

Hunter

That high suicide rate is not unlike Alaska and Canada among the indigenous peoples. Alcohol is a real killer in the native villages.

I have been told (and I believe there is some truth in this) that the indigenous people do not process alcohol in the same way "we" do. Alcohol is a scourge in those villages and despite the fact that many are "voted dry" they manage to make hooch out of things we could not even imagine. Their bans are about as effective as prohibition was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Their bans are about as effective as prohibition was.
    We had a family friend who lived up in Barrow, working as a police officer. I'd seen reports Barrow is a dry town. So, Wifey and I asked him about it. He said, "You just have to know where to get it." And, since we know he's a heavy drinker, we believed him. He been dead several years now. We don't know if alcohol was involved, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Hunter