Thread: well crap

well crap

I came across some information regarding exposure to Fire Fighting Foam (AFFF) and various diseases in firefighters.

so I googled: Can exposure to Fire Fighting Foam cause Hashimoto's disease(which is what I have and yes I sprayed foam many times over my career) and this is what I got

"Yes, exposure to AFFF firefighting foam can cause Hashimoto's disease. AFFF contains perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), which are toxic chemicals that can disrupt the thyroid hormone system and cause thyroid disease. Other thyroid diseases that may be caused by AFFF exposure include: Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, and Grave's disease "

now I find that there are multiple class action lawsuits going on. Trying to decide if I should join and if so which one to join
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Read the settlement agreements very carefully. My recommendation is to have a physician on the record tell you that your disease was caused or more than likely caused by your exposure. If so I would get my own attorney and file a separate law suit. Class action suits very rarely compensate the victims fairly. The lawyers are the big winners.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm in the same boat with a chemical called Trichloroethylene. My first real job (outside of the family business) was as a Technical Inspector in a machine shop. It paid a whopping $5 per hour (1970s).

Before inspecting a metal part I'd dunk it in a Trichloroethylene hot tank. While doing that, I'd hear loud music and what sounded like helicopters landing (which, at 17, was kind of cool). The use of the chemical is now limited 'cause it causes cancer.

Good luck, my friends, with the outcomes of your exposures.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The extent of pollution in aquifers is extreme due to 1, 1, 1, Trichlor because it was probably the most used degreaser we had. When it was banned, somehow 2, 5 gal pails found their way home to my shop. If I cleaned gun parts tonight, I better put oil on them or they will show light rust by morning.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-20-2024 at 10:23 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis