Thread: Not a good day for many!

Not a good day for many!

Thousands of companies around the world have had their computer systems disabled---including multiple airlines.

The problem didn't come from russia, north korea or any other of the normal suspects---it came from the software used by thousands of companies to protect their networks:

The outage was attributed to CrowdStrike, a cybersecurity firm whose software is used by scores of industries around the world to protect against hackers and outside breaches. A software update issued by CrowdStrike appeared to be at the root of the problem, resulting in crashes of machines running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
    This is very expensive software which caused exactly what they are paid to prevent
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hmmm... If the software is the cause - is it a liability that is covered by the company who bought it or the company that sold it? I'm not being demanding, I'm just wondering who is responsible (liability).

I searched this Spring for a malware prevention/removal tool. Most of them were offered as a regularly billed subscription. But, after checking into them, I was inundated with harassing emails from the companies. It took me a week to figure out how to delete their "infections" on my new laptop. The worst one was Mcafee. It embedded itself so deep, and required so much work to delete it, that I'm now anti-Mcafee. and won't even consider buying it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

These companies are many multiples beyond the more common cyber security programs like McaFee. Shortly before retiring we were going through the investigating/comparing of three of these players, including CrowdStrike to upgrade our security service. I don't remember the cost--but while it is based on the number of computers---the cost was staggering.

For companies the size of some of these victims I can only imagine what they are paying----and that alone makes me think the victims are going to be looking for restitution.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I searched this Spring for a malware prevention/removal tool.
    I've used Malwarebytes for several years with zero issues...I get the occasional email, but I just discard it...I also get their weekly newsletter which is always interesting...They bill my credit card once a year...

You can also use their software as a freebie, but you have to do your own scans...The paid version does automatic scans and updates with constant protection...I'm too lazy to do it myself......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    You can also use their software as a freebie, but you have to do your own scans....
    You've used the magic words, my friend. I'll look into it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead