Thread: In the interest of self preservation!

In the interest of self preservation!

Like much of the country we have suffered multiple heat waves this spring and summer. That has moved me to look for recipes that are value added to my growing cornucopia of fresh veggies.

The focus of my search include the air fryer, instant pot (slower cooker and pressure cooker) and even the microwave. All impart only a fraction of the heat into the kitchen as does the stove/oven. Even the wok can be an aid in that since it consumes a lot of heat from the stove, but it is only for a short time.

I am not a great fan of the microwave---but it does have it's staring moments---like corn on the cob and many fresh veggies ie asparagus.

I have also set a goal to honor summer's most productive garden plant---the lowly zucchini. I will prepare zucchini at least once a week in a new way. That really is not that difficult, zucchini absorbs flavors from ingredients it is made with.

To help keep things fresh this time of year----I use fresh herbs and spices wherever I can. I get hydroponically grown basil and keep it in water on the window sill above the sink, and cut as needed.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Keeping the heat from cooking down, I've been pan frying foods I normally oven bake. The old house had an electric stove/oven while the new house is all gas fired (as well as the furnace). For example, tortillas that I would typically broil cooked very fast once on the stove - quick enough that I could count to ten (seconds) for each side on high heat.

But, I'll admit I'm spoiled. I'm a big fan of microwaves yet (ironically) think they're just not fast enough as I think they should be.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead