Thread: Amish family hurt after being hit by drunk

Amish family hurt after being hit by drunk

A 5-month-old infant and seven other Amish people were hospitalized after being rear-ended by an allegedly drunk and high driving, Pennsylvania State Police announced on Monday, July 22.

Rt 30 where this happened is an old 4 lane undivided highway. There is a wide paved shoulder where the Amish normally drive unless they are going to make a left turn. I heard that the horse was banged up but will be OK---the buggy didn't fair was well
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I can't read the story, but if it's like most others involving drunks the driver likely didn't get a scratch...For some reason you can bounce a drunk off a concrete wall, and he'll just get up looking around for his beer...Drunk drivers should be permanently removed from society......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

----and this "drunk" was a "double barrel drunk", high on booze and drugs

Earlier this morning he was sitting in jail---by now I expected he has been bailed out

Just for the record----if you see a buggy you know it isn't moving fast---that is a given!!! Next, it is hard to miss an Amish buggy---it has at least one big triangular slow moving vehicle sign on the back, plus at least two red flashing lights. Not to mention that in this weather the back curtain is open and at least 3 of those kids are looking out the back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture .jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	40330
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

If there is a positive or lucky occurrence here, the impaired driver was in what is considered a compact car. If he'd been driving a large sedan or a truck, more injury (or death) would likely have been the result.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Those red flashing lights attract drunks just like your porch light attracts bugs. The drunks are mesmerized and home in on the flashing lights.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Those red flashing lights attract drunks just like your porch light attracts bugs. The drunks are mesmerized and home in on the flashing lights.
    Really? What if the flash frequency changed?

As an aside, the Amish have almost universally converted to LCD lights---their battery lasts longer

As to the battery, some use dry cell batteries but most use automotive batteries and charge them via solar cells

I don't know about flash frequency or color spectrum, Dave. We lose a surprising number of patrol cars every year due to drunk drivers crashing into the rears while stopped on the side of the road. A lot of deputies are injured, and a few even killed when this happens. Just last week, we lost another car and deputies were injured thanks to a drunk driver. Given the choice, never stand between a patrol car and the car in front of it!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Given the choice I'll wave as I move over into the other lane and pass on by

Yep Mike you're exactly right. I can't tell you how many times I lit up a DUI suspect and they ran off the road, wrecked, weaved into the other lane etc. As to the story as posted that is tragic.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...never stand between a patrol car and the car in front of it!
    It's nailed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead