Thread: This weeks zucchini adventure

Cool This weeks zucchini adventure

I know it isn't polite to brag---but this turned out better than I imagined

My focus was to keep the zucchini "al dente" or it would just fade into a mushy background---and it worked

In the first photo of the pan is:

cremini mushrooms 8 oz
    one med white onion, sliced thin
    fresh garlic, 1/2 bulb sliced thin
    2 med zucchinis, cut in 1/4s and then sliced about 1/2" thick
    hand full of cherry tomatoes that needed to get used

Medium heat for maybe 7 minutes.

last in, store bought (Sacla Italia marinara) sauce

thyme to taste

Sea salt

Simmer for about 5 minutes and add shrimp

Shrimp, 21-25 count wild caught Argentinian Red Shrimp, 1 lb.

Careful not to overcook shrimp.

There was no recipe---just what came out of my head.

A word about the shrimp: I use Texas Gulf shrimp or Argentinian Red Shrimp. I will not buy any farm raised shrimp---I don't care how cheap they might be. The Argentinian Red Shrimp are not recommended by Sea Food Watch, who has this to say:

Argentine red shrimp caught in Argentina by the industrial bottom trawl freezer fleet should be avoided. The stock is unlikely depleted or experiencing overfishing. However, the amount of bycatch in the industrial fleet is a serious concern and includes highly vulnerable sharks and rays. Also, the mitigations to reduce bycatch don't cover the impacted elasmobranch species, and more precautionary conservation measures are needed to prevent overfishing of Argentine red shrimp.
    That said I treat myself on occasion

The more commonly used is Texas Gold Shrimp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture2.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	40333  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture3.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	445.1 KB 
ID:	40334  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture1.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	441.8 KB 
ID:	40335  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-24-2024 at 06:08 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I am looking forward to cooking on a gas stove (which the new house has). After cooking on an electric stove for 36 years, it'll be a welcome change.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Despite all the negative press being aimed at gas stoves I am not at all interested in anything else.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I am not a fan of zucchini. It's mushy and has little flavor.......
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I am not a fan of zucchini. It's mushy and has little flavor.......
    It can be but does not need to be. It easily takes on flavors not it's own and when not over cooked has an enjoyable texture. If you look closely at the last photo you can clearly see the zucchini pieces which remained firm because of the short cooking time.

From my original post:
    My focus was to keep the zucchini "al dente" or it would just fade into a mushy background---and it worked