Thread: Salt Lake Awarded 2034 Olympics

Salt Lake Awarded 2034 Olympics

Extracted (in part) from this afternoon's NYT:

The International Olympic Committee awarded the 2034 Winter Games to Salt Lake City on Wednesday only after a last-minute demand that the agreement shield global sports authorities from U.S. investigations into doping by Chinese athletes.

Organizers of Salt Lake City’s bid and Gov. Spencer J. Cox of Utah agreed to the changes sought by the I.O.C. The unexpected twist came amid an escalating dispute between the global antidoping agency and its American counterpart, and at a time when the Justice Department and Congress are looking into why Chinese swimmers who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs three years ago were not subject to penalties from the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Mr. Cox told I.O.C. members before Wednesday’s vote awarding the 2034 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to Salt Lake City that he would “work with the levers of power,” including in Congress, to “alleviate your concerns.”

The announcement brought fully into the open a festering clash within the sports world over reports of Chinese doping, the adequacy of the response and aggressive efforts by the United States to combat it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Some of the equipment and setups from the previous Olympics up in Park City are still there. That's good news that they got it again.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Some of the equipment and setups from the previous Olympics up in Park City are still there. That's good news that they got it again.
    Close inspection may turn up some crumpled Coors cans......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Probably some of mine left on one of the many business trips I've been there
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Sure - remind me I'm missing out on Coors now that I no longer drink.

Utah kept most of our Olympic facilities intact by drawing in private investors as well as gov guarantees of state funding to cover potential losses. And, it's been exciting to see how it all worked out.

My relatives working in Law Enforcement are looking forward to providing Olympic security again. Wifey and I enjoyed our Olympic duties but have decided not to go through certification this go 'round. The ability to grow old together is always a good thing. But, that doesn't mean we'd be assets at our age.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

FriendofBRW Guest
    If I recall, Romney was instrumental in securing the 2002 Olympics…I wonder what role he had this time around?

Sister was bookkeeper for both the Tahoe and Park City Ski places.

Small world.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

An excellent link to the issue at hand, Fred.

There was no rank structure to the 2002 Winter Olympics. Instead, a central committee comprised of department reps, selected and placed volunteers - like Wifey and me. Hence, at the Olympic Village (where I was placed) we were commanded by a Lt who was in charge of approximately 1,000 staff (including SS, HLS, FBI, Army, NG, Israeli SWAT). A few of those staff included Colonels, from here and neighbor states (Wifey included, again). It was a 6-month assignment, with Feds appropriating money for expenses and overtime.

At the time, Feds had not appropriated such large monetary funds to an Olympic event. But, it was done at the tail end of 9-11 - and Feds knew our nation needed help to move on.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by FriendofBRW View Post
    If I recall, Romney was instrumental in securing the 2002 Olympics…I wonder what role he had this time around?
    Romney came in and took over planning the Olympics because of various scandals. He got it organized so that it ran properly, when nothing substantive was in place before he took it over.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Good point, Scooter (and nice to see you here).

Frankly, during the Olympics, I was not a Romney fan. That changed when he became friends with my Father. Romney and he were in the same LDS ward. Getting to know Romney dramatically altered my view of him. I quickly learned he's a good man who has benefitted all of us with his achievements. He kept our Olympic effort on track, rising above the previous scandals (e.g., Corradini).

Hunter