Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HVAC system

New HVAC system

Our old system was installed in the early 70s. With todays temps it just could not keep up. We replaced the furnace (4 ton 88000 btu 80 afu) AC (2 speed 95 SEER)and all ducting with a Lennox system. The old ducts were rusted through. Its 104F outside today and 75F in the house. on an day like today the old unit could not get the house below 82. I'm loving it
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

There's no home like a comfortable home......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We're seeing a huge difference when comparing our new home to our old one. The old home was constructed in 1981 and had insulation installed that was typical of the era. In the Summer, if the sun's up, the AC is running. Yet, at the new house (after we doubled the insulation) the AC typically runs for an hour or two when we hit 100F degrees. It's approximately a 10 to 1 ratio.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Nothing like an ice cold air conditioner.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The only bug in the install is where they had to put the new thermostat. Its under the air return which is the coldest place in the house. So we have had to adjust the programming about 5 degrees below where our old system was set to keep the house at a comfortable 75
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I wouldn't have thought you guys needed much heat in the winter
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I wouldn't have thought you guys needed much heat in the winter
    it drops into the 30s at night all winter and some weeks it will drop into the 20s and its damp and windy

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    it drops into the 30s at night all winter and some weeks it will drop into the 20s and its damp and windy
    Well you have educated me. I just never thought about it getting that chilly there. What is the elevation of your house. Mine sits at 656 above sea level.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Well you have educated me. I just never thought about it getting that chilly there. What is the elevation of your house. Mine sits at 656 above sea level.
    400' In the winter we get snow down to 1000'

We typically hit 0 F degrees each January. But, it's a dry cold*.

* We always seem to hear, "It's a dry heat," from most places. Yet here, at our altitude (4,226), it really is dry - which gives us our famous light powder snow
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    The only bug in the install is where they had to put the new thermostat. Its under the air return which is the coldest place in the house. So we have had to adjust the programming about 5 degrees below where our old system was set to keep the house at a comfortable 75
    Not to be negative---but that likely will not work well for you. When the ambient temperature moderates, that 5 deg bias will yield different results.

I can't imagine a valid reason for not being able to install the thermostat in a suitable place---but even if you have to use wiremold it will be well worth it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Had no idea what wiremold is.

Usually it's food you teach me about. Now it's wire and cable housings.

Hunter

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

so nice to have a cool house

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Had no idea what wiremold is.
    I got a weird rash after dating an electrician's daughter once...Probably not the same thing though......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...