Thread: At what point does it become cruel and unusal?

At what point does it become cruel and unusal?

Prisoners fight against working in heat on former slave plantation, raising hope for change in South.

Such treatment could go well beyond breaking the "will" and into breaking the "spirit".
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

More interference in state business by an out of control federal government. The states are tired of it, and the drums are beating in the background.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I respectfully will argue that there are States that on occasion need to be interfered with.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The States didn't sign up for the heavy hand that the federal government has assumed. It is was the intent of the states to throw off the heavy hand wielded by the English monarchy.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

An interesting dilemma.

We had the polar opposite wherein our inmates were on waiting lists when they worked in (what we called) Prison Industries. The incentives were simple: Monetary gain, more rights within the system, completing tasks/goals humans seek (status, producing rather than taking, personal achievement).

Yet, we didn't have the health/safety issues like those described in the AP article. Our most dangerous work was done by the Flame N Go Hotshots, who were provided extra food items as well as support from the Board of Pardons and Parole - giving inmates time cuts, et al. It was considered a source of pride for them be doing dangerous fire suppression work.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead