Thread: OUCH

Exclamation OUCH

Toyota will replace engines in 100,000 (+) recalled Tundras and Lexus LXs.

"Certain machining debris may not have been cleared from the engine when it was produced," according to the Japanese brand, which can cause the main bearings to fail.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Heads are going to roll somewhere in the Toyota sphere. This kind of a breakdown just generally does not occur in their company.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yeah, when such a well-oiled machine like Toyota errs - it has an impact.

Course, buried in the accompanying text it says 1% of the trucks are effected.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Yeah, when such a well-oiled machine like Toyota errs - it has an impact.

Course, buried in the accompanying text it says 1% of the trucks are effected.

Hunter
    If I understood that correctly, while they think it only effected 1%---they don't know what the 1% are--thus they all go

As to Honda's comment---no this type of thing does not happen often---but when it does they take it very seriously----not what Boeing did
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Had a similar experience with my Jeep Diesel. Enough HP fuel pumps failed, and they recalled every Jeep (and Dodge) 3.0 Diesel.

I liked the Jeep Diesel so much that I bought another new one before they shut down the line - making the 2023 Jeep Diesel the last one made.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Let your mind wrap around this problem:

How do you produce more than 100,000 engines over and above your current production rate necessary to maintain sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    How do you produce more than 100,000 engines over and above your current production rate necessary to maintain sales?
    Through the nose of course!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And those replacement engines aren't cheap.

My 2.8 2016 4x4 Diesel Colorado crew-cab had excellent performance as well as efficiency. It was used primarily to get us from SLC to Las Vegas and back once a month. It literally had no problems - right up to the point the engine ate itself in a run-away catastrophe.

I was trailing Wifey on our way to a Mercedes dealer in Farmington. We came off the freeway and I was right behind her in my Morgan. I knew something was wrong when the Colorado blew out a huge white cloud of smoke and then died. The engine had blown after an oil leak got sucked into the intake - over accelerating the engine. It frightened her when it happened, and she jumped out of the truck just as the engine seized. Chevy covered the towing, a replacement vehicle, and engine replacement cost. The bill was $6,0000 and took three months to complete.

Hunter

Toyota has already placed no order status on a number of new models. Any at the dealerships cannot be sold. It's going to be a pretty good task but if any companies up to it it'll be Toyota.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.