Thread: Beef----it isn't what's for dinner

Unhappy Beef----it isn't what's for dinner

I have missed my old fashioned butcher shop in the mountains and while I have a similar one here it is still a bit of a drive. I have "defaulted" to my local Mennonite owned grocery store (small chain). They offer CAB (Certified Angus Beef) which is close to equal quality to my previous supply.

They would often have "family packs" of porterhouse, NY strips, and T Bones on sale for $8.99/lb.

Now they have no such sales for the past few months and I went in search of the cause---which didn't take long. The primary cause is a beef shortage, brought on by reduced herd sizes. That was caused by a combination of market conditions and feed costs.

It is not expected to ease before sometime next year

Bring on the pig
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

You are much more adventurous than I.

In the grocery store, Wifey will hold up what I consider to be random cuts of beef and ask me if I want them. My usual response is, "Which one is cheaper." So, she wisely stopped asking me that - and now buys what she likes - which is fine with me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead