Thread: A balanced lunch

A balanced lunch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240728_130015.jpg 
Views:	1510 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	40338

Octopus, local field ripened tomato, cheese, fresh Serono and hot Hungarian Wax peppers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wifey calls that Calamari - and loves it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Calamari is Italian for squid, different but probably related to the octopus. The squid is also related to the cuttlefish.
    All three have ink sacs. The ink is a prized delicacy in Italian cooking. It has an earthy taste.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-28-2024 at 09:59 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That looks delicious did the octopus come in a tin? I have several places locally that supply octopus in a tin and it's delicious.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    That looks delicious did the octopus come in a tin? I have several places locally that supply octopus in a tin and it's delicious.
    Yes it did. My favorite way to enjoy octopus is grilled with a bit of char on it The Greeks, Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese are all lovers of octopus.

Added in edit: More to the family of Cephalopods, which includes squid and cuttlefish. The best octopus I had on our trip was in Madrid and was grilled over charcoal.

The the most common Italian dish using ink is risotto al nero di seppia (black risotto). The Spanish make arroz negro or black paella, in both cases the ink takes over.

My personal opinion of both is not high enough to justify the cost---not unlike caviar
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-29-2024 at 11:24 AM.

When we first started cruising in the 80's, most of the ships would have Caviar on the regular menu. But, as the cost rose significantly, it's now an expensive upgrade.

Me? No fish and no fish eggs. Wifey loves 'em.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead