Thread: If you don't like stories----don't read this thread

If you don't like stories----don't read this thread

Today I attended a presentation at the local Schwenkfelder Library. Schwenkfelders are plain people in the same sense as Mennonites and Amish. They were also the founding fathers of my private boys (now co-ed) secondary school. The Library has become a Museum as well and shares the campus of my Alma Mater.

Today's monthly "brown bag" presentation was about a local "fixture". Ralph W. Berky (1890-1977) was known in the Butter Valley area as “The Birdman.” He was an eccentric figure walking the Valley in a long overcoat that had pockets filled with birdseed. His love of nature was evident in his hand illustrated postcards inscribed with his poetry. I was to find out today that he attended Perkiomen School also. It took him 9 years to advance from 8th to the 12th grade---and he walked 6 miles each way to school. He never failed, he simply didn't take enough courses in a timely way to get through in 4 years

He walked, he had no car nor time for one---they moved entirely too fast. He had dabbled in the "other" world having worked for the IRS in DC but found it unfulfilling. He came home to live a life that was ultimately to his liking.

I never saw anyone pass him by as he walked along the highway without a wave---nothing demonstrative--just a lifting of his hand. He was far from a recluse, he made regular visits to town and visited with shop keepers and customers. Never----NEVER did I ever hear of kids or anyone else poke fun at this old man who wore an old trench coat almost year around. He had sewn extra pockets in it to carry bird seed and "treats". When it got too hot for his coat he used a bag slung over one shoulder to carry his "necessaries".

His real love was a tract of woodland (about 3 acres) that was offered for his use by one of the local farmers. It became known as Larkland. He cut trails through the woods and welcomed anyone to visit, sit awhile and rejoice in the sounds of nature. He would teach the kids about not only the birds, but the trees and and simply listening to nature. He wrote a poem each morning at dawn and another at dusk and often put them on post cards to different people.

He cut the grass in our cemetery (Mennonite) with a push real mower. The elders decided he was too old for that and bought him a power mower---he used it twice and then went back to the push mower. He said the thing made far too much noise and he couldn't hear even the loudest birds.

Ultimately, in Feb of 1977 he could no longer make his long daily walks to Larkland and to town and he was taken to the Mennonite Home (founded by one of my ancestors). He passed away on Good Friday and was buried on Easter Sunday.

Now for the rest of the story: some alum of our past site and here might remember "Alaska Ranger", AKA Audubon Bakewell. There was a connection between Mr. Berkey and a descendant of John James Audubon and his wife Lucy Bakewell Audubon. I missed what the speaker said and have to go back over the recording to capture that------but the light went on---clearly Alaskan Ranger is a descendent of John James Audubon.

I will have to send "Audie" a note
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing, Dave.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks for reading it and I will keep everyone informed as I find out more about this connection and ultimately talk to Audie about it.

I am a lover of history and when it gets this up close and personnel it just makes it all that much more real for me.

Thinking about Mr Berky as I called him---there was, to the best of my knowledge, no one that didn't accept him for who he was---and respect him. Every one knew he was highly educated and I think the respect that education had at the time might have helped. I wonder if that would be the case today
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Cool story, and great to know a connection between Audie and his ancestor...I suppose we're all related to each other in some way, shape or fashion...And that alone should scare many of us......

Audie should stop in and sit a spell with his kinfolks......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Cool story, and great to know a connection between Audie and his ancestor...I suppose we're all related to each other in some way, shape or fashion...And that alone should scare many of us......

Audie should stop in and sit a spell with his kinfolks......Ben
    I have invited him to visit in the past but I think he is too busy----with life in the wilderness

Let me add a little more to this story.

When Mr Berky returned here from DC he moved into his family home. His mother had passed and his older brothers (both doctors) had moved some distance away.

It was obvious the house was too big for him and he quickly gave it to a family at our church---with the stipulation that he could live there (in two rooms) for as long as they remained in the house. The speaker today is a Mennonite minister--and the son of those people, he grew up with "Uncle Ralph". They did eventually move in the mid 60's and Mr Berky had to move. The neighboring farmers (who are Catholic) had a converted chicken house were her father had lived before passing, Mr Berky moved in there until he went to the home in 1977.

I'm impressed by your coverage and presentation of Audie. You've obviously put time and effort into keeping up with important events in his life. You are a good friend to tell people about his life and how he influenced you. If memories of him live on, he lives on as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Interesting. I did not know what Subsistence Hunting is.

"Subsistence hunting is a practice where individuals hunt wildlife primarily for survival and sustenance, rather than for sport or commercial purposes."
    - Microsoft

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Nice story.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

A photo of Mr Berky:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture .jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	40372

great read, dave.
    it's time to change the air in my head