Thread: Where is the substance

Question Where is the substance

This is an extract from a front page piece in this morning's WSJ:

A presidential campaign light on policy substance took a sudden turn this week into the details of governing, as both Donald Trump and Kamala Harris sought to show they have credible proposals for taming inflation, a top concern for voters.

Their plans were richer in ambition than detail but nonetheless revealing. Harris, the vice president, and Trump, the former president, showed far different views of the role of government in the economy.

Harris, who will formally accept her party’s nomination at next week’s Democratic National Convention in Chicago, called for a muscular use of government power to intervene in markets and for new tax policy to achieve social goals, in many cases going further than President Biden.

The vice president proposed new federal authority to ban price gouging in food and groceries, and new laws to deter corporations from buying up single-family homes and raising rents. Harris would address the housing shortage with tax breaks to build homes for first-time buyers, and child-rearing costs with subsidies for newborn children.

Trump, by contrast, said he would reduce prices by diminishing the government’s role in the economy, promising to roll back regulations on energy and other unspecified industries, and to cut taxes, including on Social Security benefits.
    harris wants to end price gouging----but I'm not sure anyone can define exactly what that is. At what point does profitable become sinful? But spare the details, the heavy hammer of government will come to the rescue

trump on the other hand says he will cut taxes and then says he will increase tariffs---well---who do you think pays for that tariff (tax) increase? Possibly his secret weapon to fight inflation is cutting SS---that will help bring down the price of groceries--the old folks won't afford them, thus cutting demand! Hey, that's econ 101

Simplistic proposals for complex problems. The only thing of certainty in these sound bites, they are insulting
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thinking this may help.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/10-c...ry-2016-9?op=1

https://i.insider.com/57ebdc8edd0895...jpeg&auto=webp

When 10 companies control the market reminds me of the ATT breakup may be needed. Now that said, it is smart business that someone decided to buy this or that brand years ago, but that much control? someone wasn't watching the hen house all these years ago. JMHO
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I find the 10 Companies information fascinating. An excellent find, Fred.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

You give $25,000 to first-time new home buyers the prices will go up by 25,000. You start penalizing corporations for gouging at most will will be a temporary fix. The only way I see to correct this is for the government to quit spending money as fast as it's printed
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I wouldn’t get excited about price gouging comments.. just election blather..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I wouldn’t get excited about price gouging comments.. just election blather..

By blather do you mean that when Kamala rolled that out as part of her economic plan she was just saying things she had no intention of following through?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    By blather do you mean that when Kamala rolled that out as part of her economic plan she was just saying things she had no intention of following through?
    She will follow through as soon as Mexico finishes paying for “the wall”….

The best part of Kamala’s economic plan is that she is not Trump..

Oh okay I get it. Basically it's just a campaign lie which has been commonplace these days. And I do understand that for many folks it's an
    anybody but Trump election.

Yes and no.. off the top of my head Robert Kennedy is also on the “anybody but” list.. both are not presidential material and will embarrass the office and country (they have already embarrassed themselves)..

Just my opinion.. I could be wrong (but I don’t think that I’ll be changing my mind anytime soon)