Thread: Hard for me to imagine

Hard for me to imagine

......I will be very interested to see how this turns out. From this morning's WSJ:

Can a Closed Nuclear Power Plant From the ’70s Be Brought Back to Life?

Surging demand for electricity and new investment in green energy drove the plan to restart Michigan’s decommissioned Palisades plant. It would be a global first.
    I expect there will have to be some concessions by the energy department to allow this to happen.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Apparently, it operated up until 2022 (per Wikipedia). So, it's not as "dated" as one would expect. And, it's likely many of their prior employees (with working experience) are still available.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

If the DOE is open to grandfathering the vast majority of noncompliant updates they have a chance to make this work.

On another note, if they do it will be interesting to see how the tax accountants handle such an event
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't really know how it happened but I remember nuclear energy being vilified. It's the most economical way to make power and is very cost effective even amortizing the construction cost.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Unfortunately, our state had a hand in giving nuclear processes a bad name.

"Scientific reaction to the first Pons-Fleischmann news conference on March 23 (1989) ranged from intense skepticism to downright condemnation of the findings. Much of the controversy centered on the fact that the researchers are chemists, not physicists. Compounding the issue was a mini turf-war between the U. and Brigham Young University, where physicist Steven Jones is also involved with cold fusion research."
    - Deseret News

As it turns out, the only thing authentic about their findings were their lies.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead