Thread: Life on the bleeding edge!

Life on the bleeding edge!

The thought of an easy way of opening cans seemed like a simple and low risk "project". So---to that end I set out to find my solution, which I did at Amazon.

While I set out to find a solution at Amazon, it turned out I did not succeed. What I got was a wholly inadequate waste of drawer space.

I just left my review---along with others of the same opinion at Amazon---who shows this as being out of stock

I opened the can the old fashioned way, far enough to empty it and now it will go in the trash with the little red bastard still attached

BTW---it is called a "Lambow"----maybe that is what made me do it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture .jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	40383
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I got one of these last October. So far, I like it a lot. It does have to be placed on the can properly to work, but once you learn how it works well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Mama-...s%2C159&sr=8-3
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That certainly has a far higher rating than my 2.4 rated disaster---thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The vids provided of it working on Amazon were informative and useful. We rarely open cans - but have a couple of the "old" hand operated can openers that seem to work just fine.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I don't know what kind is in my kitchen...It's electric and it opens cans...Another leftover that my ex-wife forgot to steal when she left...I'll replace it with something else when it quits working......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Not all cans are equal and some are more difficult to open ---I think it is thicker material. In any event, my arthritic wrists don't much like the difficult ones---as few as they might be

Yeah, getting cans to open can easily become an issue. Fortunately, seems like most cans are now uniform and consistent in design.

I remember coming across ones years ago, like canned meat (or SPAM or anchovies), and the attached key (remember those?) had an uncanny ability to break off the metal attachment tab on the can. So, you'd be standing there in the kitchen trying to figure out how to open the can without using the key. My fix required pliers.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That certainly has a far higher rating than my 2.4 rated disaster---thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They also have over 104,000 ratings as opposed to 55 for the one you bought.....
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    They also have over 104,000 ratings as opposed to 55 for the one you bought.....
    Don't rub it in

On a serious note---I am not impressed with Amazon. They show a very similar opener with a dismal rating that is obviously being marketed by the same company. Even the on/off button is identical
    That one remains available

This is the one we bought from Amazon. Inexpensive and has worked perfectly.

Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe Electric Can Opener, Black https://a.co/d/ijAGwS8
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Notice it weighs 0.01 ounces in the specs. That's 1/100 of an ounce. If I sneeze it disappears.

Hunter

Thanks--but not for me

I don't open a lot of cans that don't have pull tabs and I am not willing to give up counter space to something I use seldomly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Thanks--but not for me

I don't open a lot of cans that don't have pull tabs and I am not willing to give up counter space to something I use seldomly.
    Same here.

i still use one like this, it always works Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opener.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	40385
    it's time to change the air in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    i still use one like this, it always works Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opener.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	40385
    Ah yes----the P-38, always works--and still sold on Amazon

Here is my review to Amazon:

Customer Review
    David C. Grubb
    1.0 out of 5 stars Simply dysfunctional
    Reviewed in the United States on August 27, 2024
    Verified Purchase
    I will not waste any more drawer space on this mistake. It is going to the trash still attached to the most recent failure to open a can. How anyone can put such a clearly inadequate device on the market escapes reason.
    The can shown was finally opened using an "old fashioned" manual can opener. I am an engineer and this is an honorable design endeavor gone completely wrong.
    Please do not buy one!!!!