Thread: A novel municipal approach

A novel municipal approach

Be paid to move

The City of Cumberland is launching a limited time relocation package pilot program in an effort to attract families to live inside of the city limits.
    THE OFFER – Up to $20,000
    • $10,000 relocation cash
    PLUS
    • Up to $10,000, dollar for dollar match, for approved renovations on an existing home, or for a down-payment on a newly constructed home, within the city limits.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Looking through the attached materials, it appears a person named as Ruth Davis-Rogers is responsible to oversee this relocation package process. She checks out. The main concern I'd have is knowing whether or not one could meet the timeliness involved. A person would need to have the necessary money on hand (liquidity) and it must be readily transferable.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think this can be manageable. The commercial incentives often used to attract new companies to an area are not so easily managed. Cabelas made a "deal" with PA and the local township for the store near me. It is complex and trying to track compliance is even more complex. The one that is not so complex is a deal with the state regarding sales tax---it is a sliding scale of sharing the tax revenue between the State and Cabelas. The more revenue they bring in the more they get in kick backs. That is rather easy to track but I am not so keen on the concept.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The more revenue they bring in the more they get in kick backs.
    A smart move. It will benefit gov interests and the company's bottom line. The tide raises all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think I'll pass on that offer.

https://www.areavibes.com/cumberland-md/crime/
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Cumberland is a nice small city in Western Maryland.. since the railroad scaled back and the tire factory closed, times have been tough.. half of what is casually considered Cumberland is Ridley WVA.. i believe that crime stats may be technically accurate but not actually reflective the environment.. most of the area is county.. it is also in very red mountain region..

I’m through there several times a year on I-68, even stop at Rocky Gap state park..

Nice small city..

I don't doubt what you have said. But the requirements is that you must be in the city limits.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.