Thread: Incredible Data Storage

Incredible Data Storage

When talking about data storage, we often measure whole-system storage capacity in terabytes, but most individual large files take up megabytes or gigabytes. So how many gigabytes or megabytes are in a terabyte? 1 terabyte (TB) equals 1,000 gigabytes (GB) or 1,000,000 megabytes (MB).
    - Dropbox

In the 80s Wifey and I bought 56K USB drives at Sam's Club for $50 each. I thought was a good deal and couldn't imagine needing more storage capacity. Que up 2023, when I bought my first 1G laptop. Again, thought I was set for storage I wouldn't max out.

So, saw on TEMU today they're selling 2Tb (terabyte as in trillion) USP drives for $7.41 today. It's mind boggling how our ability to store, manipulate and utilize data has reached extraordinary levels.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Back it 2000 I worked for Grau Data. we made tape libraries that used robots to move the tapes into drives connected to raid 5 with 100 terrabyte capacity. now they are up to 30 petabytes with LTO9 tape. Our biggest customers were the National Recon Office, NSA, and the Federal Reserve
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Grau Data appears to have extensive data archiving abilities. And, it says something that it's doing that since 1988.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I believe (over years of living with this explosion) that much of it is due to "sloppy" software with useless "overhead". Developers have allowed files to grow simply because they have no incentive to be more prudent in their designs. My first USB drives were Dell 64Ks and I was thrilled by such capacity in such a small package, but alas they now languish in the drawer, their minimal capacity ultimately limiting their use

I have three USB drives plugged in now and I just checked they are---60GB---and they aren't the biggest horse in the barn
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, that's where I was headed with this discussion - that we've reached a point wherein our data usage/storage is ubiquitous. I'm utilizing about 10% of my data storage/capabilities. Hence, everything happens fast and efficiently. On rare occasions when that does not occur, it's typically 'cause a website or online program I'm using bogs down.

Hunter

I just can't justify to myself the expense of offsite storage...I still back up what I deem important to a couple of 250 GB Zipdrives......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm afraid I have been rendered gun shy since having been hacked for ransom a few years ago. While client files are no longer the concern all my financial records are computerized and the thought of loosing them is enough to keep me awake at night. My current back-up costs are about $46/month.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis