Thread: My kind of politician

Thumbs up My kind of politician

Just back from Ukraine.

I worked directly under John during his tenure as COO of Knoll International during the 1990's. Then he was my boss---now he is my friend.

Regarded as the most popular governor ever of NH (2005-2013), John is now a Senior Lecturer in the MBA program at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College.

I have tried to get him to run for President in the past but to no avail---however, I have decided that he will get my vote in November
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Interesting. I hadn't paid much attention to educational history in the U.S. But when an institution like Dartmouth has been around 254 years, that's simply amazing,

"During his time there, Lynch delivered 36,000 pounds of food and supplies to children in six Ukrainian villages."
    - WMUR9 ABC

And: "Since 2022, the group has delivered more than two million pounds of food, 10,000 sleeping bags, and other supplies."
    - WMUR9 ABC

That's what are called Boots On The Ground services - which are dangerous to perform in a war zone. He and his wife could just hang out at social clubs drinking and partying with friends. I'm betting he and his wife would be fascinating to talk with over dinner.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm betting he and his wife would be fascinating to talk with over dinner.
    They are John and his wife Susan, a pediatric MD are as genuine as they come.

John's mind is amazing, when you respond to a question, as soon as you finish, there is another---often based on something you just said----but never did I think he was formulating that question while I was speaking---his mind is just that fast and his retention is awesome. On a few occasions I saw someone try to bluff him or change their story and every time they were caught---but not in an "in your face" manner---John would gently let them know they were "had" in a way that most observers never noticed. John was "conflict adverse" and over time I became his "hammer of choice". Not a function I liked but I had such respect for John I never resisted. I think that might have come about by John's size. John and Susan are not tall and both are slightly built. My wife, in private, used to refer to them as cute--not in a derogatory way but I did ask her to stop.

My time working under John was the most exciting and personally rewarding years of my career.

From Wikipedia:

where he transformed the company previously losing $50 million a year, to making a profits of nearly $240 million yearly. Under his leadership, Knoll created new jobs, gave factory workers annual bonuses, established a scholarship program for the children of employees, created retirement plans for employees who didn't have any, and gave workers stock in the company.
    As for hanging out at social clubs---they do have their "get away" in the Virgin Islands up for sale.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Why would a guy that has it going on like this one ever run for president and risk every fact moment in his life to run him in the gutter.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I spent years working for Republican leaders in Utah. Each of them had an incredible work ethic - literally, "roll up your sleeves and get to work," guys and gals. They were natural leaders who were in charge of things, yet didn't lord it over others or expect special treatment. I came away from it convinced we were following their lead - rather than being forced to fall in line. They weren't in it for the money. Yes, some of them were millionaires, but worked in government regardless.

Personally, I wouldn't want their lives or their responsibilities. But I entirely appreciated working with them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Yeah but this guy's a Democrat.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Yeah but this guy's a Democrat.
    Life is not that simple. Just like there are a few good Republicans still around there are some good Democrats as well.

Added in edit: A core aspect of John's character is that he respects everyone equally. He is as comfortable and genuine on the plant floor as he is in the board room. From top to bottom he wants to know what people are thinking---and he listens to their responses.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-04-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Of course there are good people on both sides. I made my comment because it seemed that our friend Utah might have been thinking he was a Republican, nothing more nothing less.

The reason I point out Utah Republicans is because they aren't like Republicans from CA (et al.).

You'd think a party in charge that has an 80% majority would be dogmatic and pushy - quite the contrary. They go out of their way to make things work. The 2002 Olympics showcased their efforts. It was readily apparent most of the people coming here would want, and expect, alcohol to be readily available. Hence, hosting the Olympics caused our archaic and ineffective laws regarding alcohol to be scrapped. Not only didn't societal norms collapse, we also saw taxes collected through alcohol sales significantly increase.

They know they're in charge and must, therefore, flex and bend rather than rigidly follow a party line. They must get things right. It's all on them - no one else to blame or fight with.

Hunter