Thread: My Car Spies On Me

My Car Spies On Me

I've never been described as a paranoid person. Having said that, I ran across an article online that claims our vehicles will soon record our actions in them - with significantly more detail. Those actions will be made available to Law Enforcement agencies.

Your Car Is No Longer a Sanctuary—It's a Surveillance Tool: https://www.newsweek.com/your-car-no...pinion-1946274

I'm struggling with this issue. We all want our people, particularly our loved ones, to be safe on our roads and highways. But is it worth all of us being monitored to this extent? I'd want to have much more information presented to us on how this will impact our lives.

I think whether or not we allow this issue to move forward would be an excellent question for our Presidential Election debates.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

and that my friend is why my Mercedes is a model year 2000 and my Ford Truck is a 2011 and I will keep them on the road as long as possible. Neither has any connectivity to the outside world
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

But---but---they promise not to let your insurance company take a peak
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    and that my friend is why my Mercedes is a model year 2000 and my Ford Truck is a 2011 and I will keep them on the road as long as possible. Neither has any connectivity to the outside world
    Rust.. I had the same plan.. rust claimed my beloved 96 4Runner.. stealth rust.. underneath..

Ah yes----the great salt north east

My 99.5 F-250, 7.3L, which made the weekly I-80 trek across PA and the snow belt of Ohio for two plus winters needed a full frame off restoration to recover
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's a lot of vehicle to do a frame off restoration on. I've done it with a handful of Jeeps, which are relatively small and have only 8 mounting points.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Rear shock fell off, still had shock mount attached.. “skid plate” corners rusted away, big holes on corners.. power steering, fuel and rear heater lines rusted through.. needed exhaust but mounts were gone.. looking at outside or interior.. it was great..

And it was a unicorn.. a 4cyl 5speed 4wd 3rd generation.. go ahead, find one..

I did not do the restoration--I had it done. It is a super cab with LWB. Like Joe, the brake lines, fuel lines exhaust all needed replacement. They started by stripping the frame and sand blasting it. Both cab corners were replaced along with the door skins. The fuel tank was OK but not the straps. The oil pan was "weeping" and needed to go. It now sits in the barn with the batteries pulled and in the basement.

It is close to 200,000 miles but with a new set of tires I'd head to Alaska in a heart beat

It has been as far east, as far south, as far west and as far north as you can drive in both the US and Canada.

The photo is in Prudhoe Bay Alaska---the end of the road in the US

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0027_G.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	40394

Man, nothing better than having friends who are into vehicles.

I just don't see as much interest in vehicles starting with Gen X - extending through Millennial, Z and Alpha. When I was a kid boys (sexist, yes, but it was the norm) worked on cars/trucks right alongside their Father. Evey man I know in my age cohort changes the oil (et al.) in their vehicle. We even learned more complex procedures, like replacing points and setting engine timing. I have a young friend who purchased a '24 fully loaded Ford Bronco. "What engine do you have?" I asked. "The V-8," he replied. "Sweet," I disingenuously replied (no Bronco V-8 has been made for decades).

Why does the above discussion matter? I don't think our younger generations see how technological advancements can be intrusive or costly due to what we give up getting them. What they will know is their families will be safer. I can't argue against that stance. But I can argue about whether or not it's worth the cost,

Hunter

I can tell you around here when there is a fatality in an automobile accident The first thing the troopers do is get a warrant for the box.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Same here, Tom.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

True confession.. the other side of my much loved 96 4Runner.. yes she still had her beautiful looks.. and yes the rust was eating away her undebelly.. and yes she was fun to drive.. she also had over 300k miles and the blow by was so bad that o had to drill out the oil fill cap and add an unregulated vent to keep from blowing valve cover gaskets and had to add a limiting circuit to the rear O2 sensor so that the “output” was always within limits.. (yes, I am single handedly responsible for global warming)..

But the A/C still blew cold and the cruise worked