Thread: They ain't digging coal

They ain't digging coal

.....but it sure ain't a picnic

This is extracted from an article in today's WSJ:

JPMorgan JPM Chase and Bank of America BAC plan to limit and more closely track young bankers’ hours following a Wall Street Journal investigation that detailed a dangerous culture of overwork on Wall Street.

JPMorgan will now cap junior investment bankers’ hours at 80 a week in most cases, people familiar with the matter said. Meanwhile, Bank of America is implementing a new timekeeping tool that requires junior bankers to go into more detail about how their time is spent, other people familiar with the matter said.

The changes come after the Journal investigation, based on conversations with more than three dozen current and former bankers, revealed that junior bankers at Bank of America were routinely instructed to lie about their hours to avoid exceeding hourly limits.

The question of how much to work junior employees, whose entry-level salaries can reach $200,000, has divided Wall Street for decades. Each year, thousands of young people start entry-level jobs in investment banking, attracted by the industry’s reputation for turning hard workers into millionaires. But many of them said consistent bouts of working long hours are not only mentally grueling but also hazardous to their health.

The death of a 35-year-old Bank of America associate who had been working multiple 100-hour weeks prompted an outcry in the banking industry about employee protections being ignored. Leo Lukenas III had been working on a team completing a $2 billion deal. An autopsy found he died of a blood clot that formed in a coronary artery.

The weekly cap on hours at JPMorgan, a first for the bank, is the same as the New York state limit for hours of medical residents. The bank plans to make exceptions in certain cases, such as a live deal.

Young bankers at JPMorgan already have a protected window from 6 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday and a guarantee of one full weekend off every three months. The bank, like most of its peers, has long monitored bankers’ hours through self-reported time sheets.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not too shabby.

When I was a Captain, I was classified Exempt, which meant overtime was not paid out to me. Same with Wifey when she was a Captain. We both put in 80 hours a week regardless - cause we wanted to get things done. Met with my nephews working in Law Enforcement this week. They're doing the same thing. They've already gained multiple promotions because of it. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Like the JP Morgan, Chase and BAC, cases - too much work can impact one's life. If the person wants to do it - fine. I'm just don't think they should be forced into it. The workaholics I know were always workaholics - no matter what type of business they were in.

Yeah, Wifey and I were workaholics - which is why we started cruising. For, once the ship leaves port, the ability to work ceases. A few diehard workaholics I know have satellite phones so they can work at any time from any place. There was one duty I retained on cruises, which was modding this site. I'd spend an hour or two each day in the ship's computer lab accessing this site. I didn't consider it work cause I enjoyed it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead