Thread: My breakfast

My breakfast

Ok---to start---I eat food for breakfast and all food to me can be breakfast food.

So---this morning I had egg plant----not just any eggplant, graffiti eggplant. My friend, who has a serious garden brought me two last week--along with 4 early habaneros, and a Thai Green Eggplant that left this earth last week

On to this morning and the graffiti eggplant: I suspect I have had this along the way but not in a way that I could identify it. I have seen them most often grown in Japan but I have not seen anything that directly links them to Japan.

Just on a hunch I submitted one to the air fryer this morning. I split it length wise and with the flesh side up coated it with EVOO and a touch of kosher salt---then into the air fryer for 20 minutes at 380 F. The time was trial and error---as was the temp. I find with the air fryer things of more thickness benefit from a lower temperature allowing more "soak" time without burning the surface.

It worked perfectly and I spooned the flesh out of the skin, added a bit of basil pesto and a little more salt----who needs eggs for breakfast Combined with a large dead ripe local tomato I am good to go

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	40418
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My breakfast, for 5 years straight, has been plain oatmeal. My brother and I jointly agreed it was the healthy thing to do for both of us. Takes a whopping 55 seconds in the microwave to cook. It's simple, convenient, and inexpensive.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That is a healthy start to the day--but not for me. One half cup (dry) of oatmeal is about 28 gr of carbs---half of my normal daily allotment

My egg plant and tomato combined were 10-11 grs.----but I do miss carbs
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

2 eggs over easy , potatoes , sausage and to stay on a diet , wheat toast . Also 3 cups of coffee .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Braggart

Lucky you LV

I've found I need to offset the intestine clogging effects of Oxycodone. Regular intake of oatmeal is effective and efficient at doing so.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Braggart

Lucky you LV
    Yea , I'm also about 20 - 25 pounds overweight . But with only one life and 81 yrs old , I might as well enjoy it .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

For a change of pace have you ever made baked oatmeal? It is akin to muesli. Back when I could eat without so many constraints I would often begin my day in Germany with muesli and yogurt. On our last cruise, I was a bad boy and enjoyed that for a few breakfasts

My most common breakfast of late has been 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 cup of blueberries---that gives me a total of about 10 gr. of carbs.

I'm not overweight - just not tall enough.

Actually, that sounds like a tasteful breakfast, Dave.

Hunter

You guys doing the oatmeal thing. Ever try making oatmeal over night. Use milk and let it stay overnight and in the morning use a blender and drink it.

Getting tired of the eggs in the morning.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Yea , I'm also about 20 - 25 pounds overweight . But with only one life and 81 yrs old , I might as well enjoy it .
    I hear you LV----I struggle with the question; "is worth it"? Is curbing more enjoyment now worth the possibility of a few more months. I don't know

Yes. The more we add healthier items to our diet the healthier we'll be. Even if that does not add to longevity, it's worth it.

Hunter