Thread: Microsoft wants to reopen Three Mile Island 1

Microsoft wants to reopen Three Mile Island 1

Microsoft announces plan to reopen Three Mile Island nuclear power plant to support AI.

A dormant nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania may soon be reactivated to help power some of the increasing energy needs of Microsoft.

On Friday, Constellation Energy and Microsoft announced the signing of a 20-year power purchasing agreement, in which one of the reactors at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant would be brought back online to exclusively serve the energy needs of the tech giant’s massive data centers that help support artificial intelligence.

Neither Constellation Energy nor Microsoft disclosed the financial terms of the deal.

Reviving the Unit 1 reactor at Three Mile Island, which was shut down in 2019, will require approval by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. If granted, the power plant is expected to return to operation in 2028.
    From another source:

Energy-intensive generative AI applications are expected to consume 1.5% of global electricity generation by 2029.
    This is exciting to me---I worked on Unite 1. I was astounded by the power demand projected for AI
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"If granted, the power plant is expected to return to operation in 2028."
    - USA Today

I'm surprised they'll have enough power produced before the opening date occurs.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    "If granted, the power plant is expected to return to operation in 2028."
    - USA Today

I'm surprised they'll have enough power produced before the opening date occurs.

Hunter
    I'm afraid I don't know enough of the detail to even offer anything above an uneducated guess
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis