Thread: trump remains clueless of the limits of the President

trump remains clueless of the limits of the President

Recently trump made a bold (AKA BS) statement about imposing a 200% tariff on John Deere if they moved production to Mexico. He remains too arrogant and dumb to realize he would not have that authority, which would violate a treaty the he signed.

I was a bit put out that no one seemed to pull that back into reality---so I went in search and at least in this case the facts were pointed out.

But it's likely that, if elected, Trump could not take such a step against the country. The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) prohibits the use of tariffs on many goods, allowing companies to produce them in one of the three countries and export them to the others. President Trump signed the USMCA in 2020.

Economists have almost universally warned that tariffs raise inflation, because the added cost of the products are passed along to the consumer.

Trump used tariffs while in office focusing on ag exports. It was a move that was met with criticism from Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley.
    trump's tariff threats should make everyone's toes curl----because it is the consumer who pays those tariffs
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Fittingly, 45 was criticized by Iowa's Chuck Grassley regarding pork. It's like a Monty Python skit.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead