Thread: Full circle

Full circle

Coming back from town a little bit ago in fading light due to the time of day and a very heavy cloud cover, I took notice of how many cars and light trucks have forgone "bright trim" and now color out so much with black.

It reminds me of when I was a kid. I was born into a "progressive" Mennonite Church which no longer required use of horse and buggies. We still had buggy sheds for the traditionalist but we also had a parking lot for those who chose cars.

The rules governing what was acceptable for the use of cars was clear. All the bright trim had to be painted over with black paint---and of course the car had to be black. Above all else Mennonites are "frugal". That meant that all black paint was applied with a paint brush Every bit had to be covered---hub caps, grills, window trim, door handles, hood ornament (removed was better). The "over spray" on the glass depended on the width of the brush being used

My Father was a bit of a rebellious sort and by 1953 he actually ordered a new chevy pick-up in blue---and no trim got painted out But our 1946 (?) Chevy Fleetwood car remained regulation

It would fit right in with the current crowd
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Vantablack......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

In the 50s dad would "shave" his cars - removing all the extraneous baubles, labels, small chrome emblems, etc. The end result was akin to Dave's process.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead