Thread: The rebuild begins

The rebuild begins

My first knee replacement is scheduled for Oct. 21. If all goes, well I will try to get the second one done shortly after the holidays.

I'm not looking forward to the operation but I am looking forward to getting rid of the pain

On another related issue, they are releasing my wife on a pass this Sunday to attend the dedication of our newly refurbished organ. The organ was built only a few miles away by the Krause Family in 1799. This Sunday the renewed organ will be blessed by the Bishop and an organ recital will be played by a professional organist. It is a big celebration, with a small reception for the Bishop prior to the dedication and then a dinner afterward. I have been instructed to pick my wife up at 11 AM and bring her home so she can get ready to meet the Bishop

I wonder if I could just drop her off
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I wonder if I could just drop her off
    If you try it, let us know what you want done with your ashes......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    If you try it, let us know what you want done with your ashes......Ben
    I just hope the flames are high when they toss me in

On a related story:

The Krauss family who built the organ were Schwenkfelders:

The Schwenkfelders began arriving in America in 1731 and continued to immigrate until 1737:

1734: The largest group of Schwenkfelders, 180 people, arrived in Philadelphia on the ship St. Andrew on September 22
    https://cdn.britannica.com/89/26389-...wenkfelder.jpg
    The Schwenkfelders were a group of religious refugees who fled their homes in Lower Silesia (now Poland) to escape persecution. They settled in Pennsylvania, particularly in Germantown, Chestnut Hill, and Central Montgomery County
    The Schwenkfelders were plain people similar to Mennonites and Amish. They were a small sect that despite their numbers had significant influence in this area of Montgomery County. I went to a private boys school that was founded by the Schwenkfelders and now I am a member of the Schwenkfelder Museum. They remain in small numbers but considerable wealth.

Back to the organ, the Krauss family entered into a contract with the elders of the Catholic Church about 6 miles away. The contract called for four progress payments of specific amounts. The first was a defined down payment, then the second at 50% completion of fabrication, the third at the time of delivery and installation and the last (and smallest) at the final dedication. All went as planed during 1798 and late in 1798 the organ was delivered and installed. The final payment was made in Feb. 1799 after two of the elders made the trip to the Krauss Family factory (now a residence) and made the finale payment. The following day the Krauss family came to the church and began tunning the organ for the dedication!

You just can't trust dem Catholics too far
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; Yesterday at 06:57 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Good into about the Schwenkfelders, et al. The pic you included looks exactly right for the time period & customs therein.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I enjoy history, especially local history and I enjoy sharing it.