Thread: Is there no end?

Is there no end?

One of the local fire companies where I have a property has this notice posted on their web site regarding the annual fund drive:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	40444

It turns out this is a "real" organization that has a zero rating on Charity Navigation:
    Rating Information
    0 rating
    Very poor
    So--why are they allowed to continue?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Ehhh... depends on the state. Mine requires a charter be filed, regular audits, and key personnel are checked out (e.g., President, V. President, Treasurer).

I was a volunteer working on collecting money from state employee's paychecks and funneling it to verified/audited charitable organizations. We'd bring in approximately $400G a year (1980s). After I obtained my Certified Internal Auditor cert, the Board elected me as their President. I served in that org for the next 10 years, until I retired.

Our organization was self-supporting. We'd collect money throughout the year and forward it to designated/approved orgs twice a year. While we held money during that process, we earned enough interest to pay for our expenses (printing, ads, office supplies, etc.). The icing on the cake: None of us serving on the Board were paid. All of us were volunteers. As part of our yearly campaign, we explained all that to state employees - who then felt comfortable dealing with us.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

We have City fire protection but there are volunteer stations nearby. I'll usually drop them a $5 bill if they're out with a bucket at an intersection.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yeah anyone calling or sending an letter asking for funds not directly payable to the local dept address is a scam. They usually keep 90% of the funds for their " overhead" same for police depts.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Yeah we had a working cop that was the head of the police benevolence society. Boy his lifestyle changed after he started that gig. New motorcycle, new car and new house.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    They usually keep 90% of the funds for their " overhead"...
    Exactamundo.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead