Thread: Good news---bad news all depends on your point of view

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good news---bad news all depends on your point of view

It is dry here---officially we are in moderate drought, the lowest drought classification. Vegetation (mostly trees) will suffer if they do not have a chance to recharge their moisture level before full dormancy.

On the up side, fall has been a spectacular show, we are now about a week past peak. My corn and beans are harvested (last week). I don't know what the moisture content was but I see no grain driers running---good news for the farmers, bad news for the propane dealers. There was no problem with wet spots in the fields to hinder the machinery and this is the earliest that I can recall the harvest being finished.

The field is full of deer, they are here for breakfast and back for dinner. Somedays they even stop in for lunch The rut does not seem to have started but with the drop in temperature I am sure it is not far off. Yesterday there was a red fox checking out the barn I have not had any fox in the barn in a couple of years.

Fall is my favorite time of year. The fall archery season was my favorite hunting season although not the most productive---I always found it difficult to stay awake while being warmed by the fall sun
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

They say a weal La Nina is expected for this winter. Dryer done here a little warmer in the mid to northern areas. Your forcast may vary.

Just what we don't need here no to little monsoons this past summer. Dry isn't good. Good thing the wells 360 ft down. One of the smarter things I did when we bought the place.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

After one of our hottest Summers, we're slowly sliding into Fall - which I greatly appreciate. At this point we await the first freeze, which finishes off the rest of our deciduous trees. Only our Locust trees are giving up their leaves early - even before that same freeze. They simply look tired. It's rare for our first freeze to come after Halloween - yet here we are.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

it was a dull fall here, no bright colored leaves. we got our first hard freeze yesterday and even some flurries. the ground up here still has soft spots from rain. the drought map shows us as being abnormally dry, but that doesn't seem to be the case where i am.
    it's time to change the air in my head

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Just home from a two week walkabout…. Drove I-80 across northern Pennsylvania, trees are changing color..

The fall colors are eye catching across Pennsylvania but the diesel prices are eye popping.. they actually advertise $4.25 gal.. Ohio and New Jersey got our business..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Just home from a two week walkabout…. Drove I-80 across northern Pennsylvania, trees are changing color..

The fall colors are eye catching across Pennsylvania but the diesel prices are eye popping.. they actually advertise $4.25 gal.. Ohio and New Jersey got our business..
    We in PA are "blessed" with the highest road use tax in the nation
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

i'm an hour north of 80 in central pa, we didn't get good color up here, most of the leaves are down now....wish the diesel and gas prices were down too
    it's time to change the air in my head