Thread: One of the most amazing achievements of my life time

Thumbs up One of the most amazing achievements of my life time

Voyager 1---launched 47 years ago and still moving along:

Voyager 1's journey continues today, traveling at 38,000 miles per hour into interstellar space. Though its power is diminishing, the data it sends back from beyond the solar system gives us unprecedented insight into the universe beyond the Sun's influence.

This is a collection of space pictures beyond even the imagination of Jules Verne
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

V'ger lives!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The science behind the delicate "balance" which led to life on earth could be due to a deity or to chance. Either way, that status makes intelligent sentient life a very rare occurrence in our universe - substantially reducing our odds of finding other worlds with it.

The above summary, and the fact we have not encountered sentient beings on or outside of our world, leads one to conclude that if we continue to explore space, we do so: 1) To gain additional knowledge that will benefit us and (2 obtain the satisfaction of knowing it is worth the cost.

For those seeking a religious resolution - there isn't one entailed. Instead, we rely upon faith arising out of beliefs, rather than science (as it should be).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    ...we have not encountered sentient beings on or outside of our world...
    They're avoiding us...Can you blame them?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

You gotta point there Ben
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis